74 johnson problems

ok heres my problem. I took it out for the first time, and it started up just fine. Put it into reverse to get off of trailer and it kept dieing. So I took it back home and checked my compression. I had 103psi on all three cylinders. So i thought maybe it was my carbs. I ordered carb repair kits and rebuilt them. I took it out again, got it off the trailer just fine. Gave it full throttle, for about 20 minutes and it ran just fine. Then i backed off and kind of putted around, messing with my fish finder. I then got back on it full throttle and it acted like it was trying to flood. It didnt have the get up and go that it had when i first started. It just wouldnt go. I backed off the throttle and it died. It was hard to start after that, but i was able to load it up and come home. Please help me. Any advise or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 74 johnson problems

i replaced the the three at the carbs do i need to repace them all could it be my fuel pump. im new at this it is my first boat so thanks for all the help

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

When the carbs were rebuilt, was the float height adjusted from what it was originally? It does sound like it's flooding, but you'd have to pull a spark plug after it stalls to see if it's all wet to tell.

yes i did check the floats i adjusted them so they set level upside down and no i did not check the plugs after it stalled. thanks for all the help i will check the plugs