1988 Alpha 1 Power Steering Problem

jayrodoh

Seaman
Buddy has a Baja with the Alpha 1 and 350 Mag engine. The problem is, when the engine is throttled up, the outdrive will turn to the right by itself. This is not a trim tab issue or caused by the boat moving, it will do it out of the water on a work rack too. I'm not too familiar how the steering rack works, but I assume there is a problem with it. My boat does not do it so you can image my surprise last year when I let go of the wheel at 55mph and it turned full right almost instantly.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Alpha 1 Power Steering Problem

Is it the drive or is the steering fin turned the wrong way? The trim fin should be turned in the direction of the turn.(boat goes right turn the fin to the right).J

chiefalen

Captain

I don't think it's a power steering problem. I think the drive shaft is pulling the drive to the right.

I also think the drive and the motor got to be aligned, cause it's out of alignment.

Maybe the drive dropped a little or the motor mount dropped a little.

Try tighten the bolts on the drive if they go in more then a half turn could be a rotten transom or the motor mount dropped. They were supposed to be tight and not move at all.

And while your in there check the bearing might be going.

I hope i'm wrong in everything i posted.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hope i'm wrong in everything i posted.

You probably are wrong, nothing in your post has anything to do with steering torque.

Like Jerrry said, the trim fin on the back of the drive is probably adjusted wrong, but even when adjusted to best position, it will only have 1 rpm it will work at, any thing over or under, you will have steering torque.
I would also bet you don't have power steering, that usually prevents your problem, if all you have is rack and pinion steering, you need to replace it with a NFB (No Feed Back) steering system. Then you won't have that problem any more.

Bondo

Staff member

This is not a trim tab issue or caused by the boat moving, it will do it out of the water on a work rack too. I'm not too familiar how the steering rack works, but I assume there is a problem with it.

Ayuh,...

Sounds like a Valving Issue in the P/S Actuator....

Looks like the last 3 Posters were reading somebody Else's thread,...
Although Chief might be onto something with the Rotten boat thing,...Hopefully Not....

chiefalen

Captain

He says it happens on the rack running and in the water.

I swear i wish i am wrong.

For your friends sake.

Don't go running out and buying anything till you know for sure.

Try torquing down the drive bolts easy ok you young guns don't know your own strength.

Post back how far the nuts turned.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The problem is, when the engine is throttled up, the outdrive will turn to the right by itself.

I see this all the time on boats without power steering and no tension adjustment on the steering. If everything is free to move easily, all you have to do is rev them up and the drive will go to the side. Out of the water as well.

chiefalen

Captain

You mean to tell me he don't have power steering?? He says it got power steering.

I think i'm loosing it how you put up with this so many years Don i just don't know, you got to be a saint.

Saint Don.

jayrodoh

Seaman

I see this all the time on boats without power steering and no tension adjustment on the steering. If everything is free to move easily, all you have to do is rev them up and the drive will go to the side. Out of the water as well.

It does have power steering, same exact setup as my boat, though it is the later unservicable style. I have an engineering and electrical background, you probably won't find a more meticously maintained boat or vehicle than my fleet. One of the few people that appreciate a well maintained Merc 170.

I've never worked on power steering other than swapping out a pump, so I'm not sure what is invloved with the unit, although I can say on this boat the power steering works fine at idle, but as soon as you hit about 2K on the tach, the wheel will start to crank all the way to the right. This is a huge safety issue since the boat is capable of speeds up to 60 MPH (confirmed with my GPS in calm conditions). May not sound like a big deal when you're used to the boat, but I took it out last year with some friends and let go of the wheel to knock the throttle back and it took a nice full turn right at 50+ mph.

jayrodoh

Seaman

I should add that we have not checked the drive alignment, but will do so this spring when we reinstall the drive and replacement impeller. Not sure how that would torque the drive into moving.

My biggest hint is that when the boat is on the rack and throttled up (obviously not too much running on muffs, about 2K) it will crank hard right and you can hear the PS pump straining like when you crank an older car to the stop.

jayrodoh

Seaman

Found some thing in the service manual, page 6A-13 on how to check and adjust the power steering control valve. Boat's in storage until May 1st though.

jayrodoh

Seaman

Update for those interested and maybe help someone in the future.

Setting the balance adjustment per the service manual corrected the issue. 10 minute fix on the work rack.

Bondo

Staff member

Setting the balance adjustment per the service manual corrected the issue. 10 minute fix on the work rack.

Ayuh,.... Glad to hear it,.. That's what I was refering to before....