Control Box Question 150 Evinrude

angler99

Recruit
The 'warm-up' button on my Teleflex control box is stuck 'IN', in the 'throttle only' mode...can't get it back to the point where I can engage the shift linkage. ANY suggestions? Do I have to split the round black plastic part open to free it up? It's kind of old (1986), am I better off buying a newer/used control box?
Thanks in advance for any help.
angler99

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Control Box Question 150 Evinrude

You can certainly open that up to get some lube into it, just take your time and take note of where everything is and don't do anymore than you have to, crack the caase, squirt some oil in and see if that does it, if not you have to go a little farther.

I have been inside a coupe control boxes and there is alot of stuff in that little box that has to line up just right, a tip, don't move the handle until it is back together.

Ebay is a good source for control boxes if you decide to replace, I have a new universal Teleflex on my 81 Evinrude but you may decide to try and fix it when you see the price of a new one.

angler99

Recruit
Re: Control Box Question 150 Evinrude

Thanks! Yes I am 'Watching' several used control boxes on Ebay. Also there is a NEW 'Cobra' control box for this application for only $149.00, and most of the decent used real Evinrude/Johnson boxes complete with cables and wiring harness w/trim are going for $100-$150...well worth it I believe.
I just think I'm better off replacing it...fortunately, this issue happened at the END of the day, right at the ramp! But the season opener for the league that I angle with is in exactly 3 weeks (same day as the 'Classic') and I certainly can't have this type of problem in the middle of tournament!
I'm not going to mess with it, and just replace it as I need new cables anyway.
Thank you for your help.
angler99

TAKE A KID FISHING!