Yamaha 90 4 stroke vs Evinrude 90 etec

bruceh

Recruit
I just purchased a new boat and was set to go with the Evinrude 90 hp etec. In talking to people at the boat show and others they said I would be happier with the Yamaha 90 4 stroke. There was just too much information from both sides. Which do you think is the better buy for durability, easy to maintain, and performance? It will be used for fishing 95% of the time.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Yamaha 90 4 stroke vs Evinrude 90 etec

What is the closest dealer to you? Yamaha, or Evinrude? That's one consideration.
I think you will be happy with either one. The Yamaha is probably heavier than the ETEC.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Both motors are of excellent quality.
The Yamaha is about 380lbs.The Etec is about 320.Mechanically the Yamaha
is much more complicated.The etec service intervals are less frequent and less complicated.Etec requires no breakin,no service interval for the first 3
years or 300 hours.Evinrude is having a 100 years celebration with a number of sales promotions.Fuel efficiency is pretty much a wash with each excelling in certain points.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a YAMAHA F-115. Good motor but wish I had gotten a 2 stroke. Increased weight is noticable for me. FRED

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Both good motors. But stop by the Yammy dealer and ask what valve adjustment, timing belt replacement, oil and filter changes cost. Then check the frequency of doing those things. There are no belts on an E-tec, there are no valves, and there are no oil changes although you do use their special two stroke E-tec oil which is expensive, but you use very little of it. You can also have the engine programmed to run their 50:1 version but that increases oil use.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sounds like a ford s chevy question to me...........although ive only owned johnson, evinrude, and mercury ------ i would think any outboard in good running condition is a good motor..........these things run forever with proper care........basically same as cars: some are better than others , not necessarily a brand issue------some are built on mondays and fridays and some are built right........lol.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Really not ford/chevy except to say they are both good motors.
But imagine how long your chevy motor would run without intensive service if every time you took it out you ran it at or near its max rpm up hill.

just_crsn

Seaman Apprentice

Really not ford/chevy except to say they are both good motors.
But imagine how long your chevy motor would run without intensive service if every time you took it out you ran it at or near its max rpm up hill.

Four strokes have been around for decades, i dont think that argument flies now. Yes they do run at higher rpms but they are designed for them. Your car motors are not.......look at motorcycle engines they to average much higher rpms without any problems. You will find alot of old school arguments about 4 stroke vs 2 stroke .....bottom line you find the engine that fits your needs and preference. just my opinion.:D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep its a chevy VS ford thing
very very carefully read the E-TEC fine print.
the 3 yr maint schedule is based on 50hy/year usage and your actual schedule may vary.
at least thats how my 175 E-TEC is.
valve lash check on the F motor is something like every 400 hours or 5 years and unless adjustment is nessasary can be done in less than an hour by a shop monkey.
both above engines are fuel injected,one an EFI the E-TEC a DFI.
both need the gearcase oil checked for water twice a year anyway.
both break
my E-TEC tossed #4 rod through the block at 15 hours.
both BRP and my dealer were very good and I had a fully dressed 08 powerhead in about 9 days.
both are good companies to work with.
rig the F90 with command link and you can vary the trolling speed via the tach.
possibly BRP now offers this with the I command package.
what I would do is carefully consider the dealership your buying from. maybe look for school certificates.
then buy all the warrenty you can and go fish.
if the weather straightens out sunday I hope to go burn gas with my E-tec.
if not then maybe with my F-150.
all will die without correct maint. mostly today what we see is poor fuel quality that wrecks pistons.
thats what I think happened to my E-TEC.
when #4 piston stuck it snapped the rod just below the wristpin and then stuck the broken end through the block.
that piston did not stick just cause, we did a fuel sample and BRP said it was ok.
I dumped the remaing 30 gallons and went through my fuel system before installing the new powerhead anyway.