Two judges busted for corruption

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
Here in my local area two of our County Court judges have been charged with taking kickbacks of up to 2.6 million dollars in a scheme they set up with a juvenile justice center and it's developer and owner. This is one of the many corrupt things that have been happening in our County for the past many years. It is finally coming to a head and I am sure there are more arrests of pubilc officials to come. This is the big news around here. I do know both of the judges involved one of them is a jerk and I would expect this from him, but the other was one of the nicest person around. I guess you cant judge a book by its cover..........or maybe you can.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/hot...Ciavarella_Conahan_concealed_26_million_.html

http://www.timesleader.com/news/hottopics/judges

JRJ

Commander
Re: Two judges busted for corruption

Sounds like they should go to jail, but what are the odds?

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I believe they made plea arrangements that are pending, 7 years in prison for both.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's every where. greedy people. can even happen to a governor.

jbjennings

Captain

We also had two corrupt judges in my area (Shreveport,LA), and they DID go to JAIL!! I was very suprised, but the rascals did get what they deserved. THey were taking bribes. Makes you wonder about justice in this country, huh? At least we still have the right to a trial by jury! We do have some good judges here, maybe that's why they got caught.
JBJ

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Only two...?

Things are looking up...!

D

DJ

We also had two corrupt judges in my area (Shreveport,LA), and they DID go to JAIL!! I was very suprised, but the rascals did get what they deserved. THey were taking bribes. Makes you wonder about justice in this country, huh? At least we still have the right to a trial by jury! We do have some good judges here, maybe that's why they got caught.
JBJ

We do not have a JUSTICE system. We have a LEGAL system.

Big difference.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What DJ said. :(

chiefalen

Captain

JUSTICE is blind.

It's called a court of law.

Being guilty and being found guilty is 2 different things.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Well, these two birds plead guilty today in federal court and got 7 years in jail each. It turns out one of their coherts has a place in Jupiter, FL. and has a yacht and a condo they were filtering some of their ill gotten money to. The Yacht's name is "Reel Justice". I guess there is a boat angle in just about everything.

BTW, Tash how far away is this place from you?

mphy98

Lieutenant

When I first saw your post I thought it was just another Illinois story, then I was shocked to find out it happens elsewhere, say it ain't so Joe. Just goes to show you absolute power corrupts. Its the same right down to our small town board here.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

"The most corrupt county in the state" says the Pennsylvania Attorney General. That is a pretty strong statement considering you have Philly and Pittsburgh to contend with, but the "coal cracker" mentality is predominant in this area. This thing wont die around here, the corruption probe is not limited to the judges, it continues with the county commissioners and numerous wrongdoings, everybody is getting fired.

mphy98 Absolute power corrupts Absolutely!!!!!! You hit the nail on the head, but I dont think Luzerne County PA has anything when you put it up against Chicago.