My Retirement Project Begins Chapter Three

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
TD:

Decided to take advantage of the warm temps today and got serious with the cleaning of my hull. Shop temp @ a balmy 62 degrees, only one set of long johns instead of the usual four, we're ready to rock and roll.

TD in response to you cleaning your toon, heres my "formula" so far. I have found that nothing is going to work but good ol elbow grease and stick with itness. Heres what we have so far.

Pic #1 is after machine sanding with #60 grit and then again with #100 grit paper. All of the oxidation is removed and 80% to 90% of the pitting is gone.

Pic #2 is after machine sanding with #220 grit paper. 99% of the pitting is gone. I used scotch brite pads to buff between each sanding phase.

You have to use a lot of sand paper, frequently replacing the used paper with new. I noticed that the sand paper will pickup residue which creates a clog effect that results in a burr on the paper. This will leave trails of scratches on the metal that have to be sanded out just like the original pits.
Using clean paper results in a cleaner/smoother end result.

Pic #3 is after I made a pass over with #000 steel wool, applied 3M alum Restorer/Polish by hand and buffed out again by hand. There remains that 1% of pits in the metal.

Pic #4 is after I made one pass over with #000 steel wool, hand applied the same 3M compound and machine buffed. There remains that 1% of pits.

Its hard to see in the pics #3 & #4 but the pits still show up. The more you buff, the more they show. Or at least it seems that way to me. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, but I want a clean shinny finish.

Be prepared to spend a lot, a lot, I say a lot of time doing this. The section in the pics is 5 feet long by about 6 inches high. This area took me about 3 hours to do, and it still has to have the final polishing done.

So far this my formula as you requested. Unless lightning hits me between the ears, these are the steps of the process I'll follow. I spoke to the owner of my local boat repair shop and he suggested a 2-step compound that was totally cost prohibitive. My nephew who does auto body repair came and looked at the boat and his parting words were "sand it sand it sand it". So there I am, sanding it. Be sure to keep you paper clean, drink beer, dust the work area constantly, drink beer, don't play the music too load, drink beer.

After I have the entire hull cleaned and polished with the 3M restorer, I will most likely do a final buffing with an aircraft polish to get the high luster and protective finish I am hoping for. Hope this little bit helps you with your toon cleanup.

Attachments

• DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0019.JPG
    DSCN0019.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0021.JPG
    DSCN0021.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0022.JPG
    DSCN0022.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: My Retirement Project Begins

TD:
You have to use a lot of sand paper, frequently replacing the used paper with new. I noticed that the sand paper will pickup residue which creates a clog effect that results in a burr on the paper. This will leave trails of scratches on the metal that have to be sanded out just like the original pits.
Using clean paper results in a cleaner/smoother end result.

I have found that when sanding any kind of metal it helps the paper to use a penetrating oil. (WD 40 or PB Blaster works best) If you coat the paper and the work with it and keep it wet while sanding it keeps the paper alive allot longer. It also minimizes the "burr" effect you wrote about. It works on all metals. Follow the sanding with a good cleaner like acetone or carb/ brake cleaner to remove the oil after sanding. It makes a mess but it sure keeps the paper cutting. I have done this with emory cloth on many occasions. It seems to help cut through the stained oxidation as well.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

drewpster:

Thanks for the tip on the wd40. I have the equivilent and I'll try that early tomorrow. :)

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lookin good jp, keep at er! You gonna paint or leave it with just the buffed shine?

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

lookin good jp, keep at er! You gonna paint or leave it with just the buffed shine?

By the time I be done, this beast will be too shiny fer da paint to be stickin.
As long as my arm holds up, this is.

And yes, I plan to leave it bare alum. I could be more expressive with a multi-colored paint job, but I prefer the look of clean plain alum. The interior will be bright blue carpeting on the horizontals with red on the verticals and a little white and chrome on the console with all black-face electronics.

As I envision it, it should look realy sharp. :cool: I have four seat pedestals with two moveable seats so it will be functional for either fishin' or just crusing the chicks. This is a lot of work. Buddy of mine gave the boat to me one week before I retired and left San Diego last summer. Not sure if he wanted me to have fun with it or if he was trying to kill me. :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm enjoying it tremendously. ;) As I suspect you are enjoying redoing yours..