Trip to FL

tippy_river

Cadet
I am going to the Orlando area in FL for about 10 days early in February to do some fishing. I have a 16' boat and trailer with a 35 hp motor.

My question is, would it be better for me to tow my boat from Lafayette, IN to FL or to rent a boat and trailer when I get to FL? I am mainly concerned with which option would be the most economically. I have a 9.9 hp outboard that I can take with me to put on a rental boat.

Additionally, I would like to know about the availability of rentals and any experience you may have had renting a boat and trailer in FL.

Larry

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trip to FL

The Orlando area has many small lakes which can be fished. However, the main fishing attractions are: St. Johns river north of Orlando, The Clermont chain west of Orlando, and the Kissimmee chain south. The Kissimmee chain has some large lakes which can get nasty with wind. The St. Johns is more sheltered.
Rentals run about $100 a day for a pontoon boat.

Economy wise, depends on how many fishing days you are going to do. I think that rig of yours would tow easily. However, I would suggest making sure the trailer is in good shape. After all, you are going nearly 1000 miles each way.
Like, service breaings, set pre-load, etc.
There are a multitude of ramps in the area.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trip to FL

personally, i have always prefered to bring my own boat. it is set up the way i like it. you do not have the hassle of packing tackle. there are many,many places that you can fish, with a boat that size. the Harris Chain is another good one. we are actually having an iboat get together in May.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=291501