Battery switch wiring,no outboard

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
I have two batteries wired parallel.Currently unhooking them at the terminal,to break the circuit after charging.(that what I was told to do?)
Thinking of buying a switch but without an outboard not sure where to connect the negative wire.
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22481&stc=1&d=1233283458
I have no fuse panel,buzz bar or common ground,other than the negative terminals on the batteries.
Does the negative go to the com position on the switch?
Couldn't find the answer in the search...sorry if it's here somewhere.

Attachments

• StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg
    StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery switch wiring,no outboard

Follow the diagram you have in your post. Negative on the batteries goes to the engine block but since you don't have one, they just get connected together. I'm just curious here, but will you be getting an outboard, do you have an inboard or I/O or won't you have an engine at all. If you have nno engine at all, then why bother with the switch, just keep doing what you are doing and save the money for fishing tackle.

Negative on the batteries DOES NOT go the COM on the switch. I would like to head slap the dude that labeled the battery switch that way (on the switch itself -- not the diagram because I'd have to head slap myself since its my diagram). COM on the switch is merely the common POSITIVE connection for all of the accessories on the boat except for the bilge pump. When set to BAT 1, only BAT 1 is connected to COM. When BAT 2 is selected, only BAT 2 is connected to COM. When BOTH is selected both batteries feed the COM terminal. The same holds true for charging when the engine is running. All of the ground wires for all of the accessories on the boat can connect to the NEGATIVE terminal on either battery since they are both connected anyway --- or they can connect to the engine block but since you don't have a fuse panel or buss (not buzz) bar, all grounds are best connected to the batteries.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I just watched the movie "Fight Club" last week and I don't think slapping yourself in the head would be a good thing,atleast it wasn't for him:).

I don't think I'll ever put an outboard on this small(12')jon,just going to keep it electric.I may even add more batteries in the future.
The batteries are in a compartment and I have to stand on my head to disconnect the negative lead off the terminal to break the circuit.I was also thinking maybe alittle less wear on the wire/connector(taking on/off)and maybe just easier charging and disconnecting the batteries?

So,if I replace the outboard with a TM in the picture,all is good?

Thank you for your diagram,makes it easier for me.
So it is a good practise to break the connection between paralleled batteries when not in use?

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check the automotive department at most any department or home improvement store. They generally have a battery disconnect switch which is nothing more than a simple knife switch. it attaches to the POS terminal on the battery and battery cable connects to the other contact of the knife switch. Pull the knife up to disconnect. Cheap, simple and effective.