Drive on or Crank on

shvy

Seaman Apprentice
HI all I have a 1989 23' Bayliner trophy 2302 with a 250 mercury saltwater, when I unload my boat I back it down the ramp to where the boat is just flotting the I pull it off by hand. Thats good, but when I go to put the boat back on the trailer I pull the boat up to the trailer by hand then hook my winch up and begen to crank about 3' befor it set and ready to go home. There was this guy at the ramp and he said why don't you just drive your boat up on tour trailer? SO DRIVE ON OR CRANK ON?

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Drive on or Crank on

I always crank on because less can go wrong... not quite lined up right you can smash your hull into the trailer and cause damage. It only takes a little longer to do it by hand. I can get it right the first time by cranking when I've seen guys trying to powerload that have to do it two or three times until they get it right by that time I'm loaded and out of the water strapping down getting ready to go home.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I crank it on...but maybe that's because I married one.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

I definetly crank about 3-4'. I get it right the first time and save the the short ramps of FL from damage with the power on.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

realy depends on the angle of the ramp,
if you load on a flat ramp you might not be able to back you tow rig far enough to get the trailer deep enough with out submerging you rig deeper than you want.

if your loading on a steep ramp you can winch all the way to center post but have to be carefull pulling out as you boat might not be setting on the bunks on the rear of the trailer and shift from wind or waves if you pull out to slow

your 23' Bayliner trophy 2302 is heavy enough that i dont think you will move it on your trailer with out having it floated. any way if you can crank it no harm and more control

so comes down to what ever turns your crank :D:rolleyes::D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i idle on, not power on. then crank the last little bit. several of my trailers in only have to tighten the winch. it really all depend on how you set your trailer up. i have close guide-ons, self centering rollers, so may boat can only go one place, where it is suppose to be, centered on the trailer. also how deep you are in the water makes a big difference in launching and retrieving.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also idle on or a little above idle, but my boat also only goes on my trailer one way. Once I touch the winch stop bumper I step over and winch the boat tight to the trailer. I can then walk down the trailer tongue step off on dry land and not get wet. Trailer set up can go a long way in how easy it is to load a boat.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Man why do people have to wreak ramps power loading!

If you can get it right up fine but if you have too sit there and put the power to it your trailer just isn't in far enough.

Watch a guy spend what seemed like forever trying to get up on a float on trailer the other day.

Don't get it.

a70eliminator

Captain

I think it's rediculous when I see someone flogging the throttle to the point where you see the water level pull down 2 ft followed by a mud slide.
I have an easy loader trailer and a 20' i/o all it takes is slightly above idle an it will come up and just kiss the bow cradle every time.
I think the guys that are realy goosing the throttle could benefit by trimming out a little to push the bow up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if they bother to set up their trailer properly, and get their depth right, you can put it there with a paddle. like is said i idle on, nothing above idle, then kill the motor.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

if they bother to set up their trailer properly, and get their depth right, you can put it there with a paddle. like is said i idle on, nothing above idle, then kill the motor.

so does that mean if your not deep enough and the water is at the bottom of your door and your on a flat ramp you keep backing down till you flood you cab.?

PS my trailer is set up right. it was set from the dealer ship when new and the bunk brackets are welded in place.

cribber

Lieutenant

I idle up to my trailer and if I'm lined up correctly I'll kick it to neutral once I get close to the wind break and let it glide onto the trailer using the outdrive as a rudder for minor corrections and only nudge it back into idle gear if necessary on windy days.

Same unloading... Idle off the trailer until I clear the ramp and dock.

I learned from watching the bass boaters launch and retrieve during tourneys.

Lake Harris Bass Tourney
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/Cheep_photos/?action=view&current=HarrisBassBoats.jpg

I've seen guys try to over correct with the throttle to only nail the dock with the side of their boat.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I learned from watching the bass boaters launch and retrieve during tourneys.
Those are the guys you want to learn from. They usually have it down pat. With good reason, as every weekend, they have to get 50 boats down a 2 lane ramp less than 30 minutes.

I actually do powerload, very slightly. I run a large slight vee nose (mod v) jon with a tiller operated 40. I set my trailer in the water where I hit the bunks and am about 8 - 10 inches from the post. Because of the shape of my rig, I can see the winch post up until right when I stick to the bunks. Thus, I can see which way I need to go (flat bottoms do NOT self center). I turn the motor in that direction, and goose it a bit. I pop right to the center of the roller every time. I used to try to do it where I put the trailer just deep enough that when I "stick" to the bunks, the bow is right at the stop, but my jon doesn't load well like that. It will often not be centered quite right (sitting on the chines). I have found that if I put it a little shallower, the slight vee at the bow will center between the bunks, and when I goose it, the chines direct the rest of the boat onto the correct placement. The steering adjustment makes sure the bow hits the stop every time, as opposed to being 3 inches on either side like it tries to do otherwise. My guide ons are set about 4 inches on either side of the hull, and I cannot tell you the last time the boat actually touched them.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roller Trailer = Crank On

Bunk Trailer = Drive On

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I prefer the combo.
Power on is good to a point. By powering on I don't mean full tilt. Just a bit above idle until it stops then crank the rest of the way.
how much of each is determined by the ramp angle.
Shallow is more crank than deep.
However, as mentioned, trailer set up is 90% of the way it works out.
Guides, self-centering rollers, heigth, length, and such are all important.
People that full bore onto a trailer irritates me too. They blow a hole at hi tide, then I try to haul at low tide. Makes me less than a happy camper.:cool:

mthieme

Captain

Since the community ramp is two or three houses down from me, I park my truck back in the driveway after unloading. The boats usually stay int he water all season after that.
However, since I have to tie up, go get the truck, wait my turn, back in the water...
I pull the boat around the pier and up as far as possible onto the trailer (usually within two feet of the post) then crank.

Clam Biter

Cadet

I don't yet know which way I will load my new to me '82 seaswirl. Here in San Diego I mostly see the sea folks idle on. although in South Carolina I have seen the no neck red necks back way off and WOT onto the trailer. Reminded me of mud drags but wetter. Bubba, or Bo, or was it Joe hit so hard that he landed in the bed of his truck with the bow through his rear window.
Should I have put this post with Stupie Tricks?:eek:

HVSTRINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Idle on, if deep enough and current not too strong. if the current and wind is strong I use guide ropes to coax that precious baby into a position where i can crank it on. I waited my turn, now wait yours!

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I'll agree with the comment about ruining ramps by powering on. ( Not talking idle on here but having to goose the throttle to get her up). Repeated occurance of this digs a hole behind the boat and often a "reef" behind that. Get various and numerous boats doing this and you'll quickly get a hole that you can get a trailer stuck in and a (barley) subsurface debris pile beyond that you have to avoid while backing out/in. I've seen several ramps rendered near usless by this practice. ( One is so bad, I launch on the beach adjacent to the ramp!)

IMHO, if you need to goose the motor beyond idle to get it loaded, you need to be deeper and/or modify your trailer.