Lower Unit Loose but Stuck!

Grant123

Cadet
I have a 1982 60hp Japanese made Mariner 2 cyl 2 stroke. I am trying to repace the impeller but my manual is not great. I have removed the 4 external bolts, the bolt for the trim tab and the bolt underneath the trim tab. The lower unit is moving but will not come off. Apparently the gear shift is splined so it should separate. How can I apply enough downward pressure to the lower unit to remove it but not damage it?

PALEALE

Recruit
Re: Lower Unit Loose but Stuck!

could be where your main shaft splines slip into the crank splines have some corrosion and have siezed. might seperate with some WD-40 penetrant, or it might be similar to my experience with an old blue band Mercury, where I had to cut the leg off with a angle grinder(lucky to have a spare leg) weld a slide hammer to what was left of the shaft, apply heat with an oxy torch, and smack it like hell for 15 mins until it came out, and there was nothing left of the splines on either shaft or crank(corroded)

But between the WD-40 and the slide hammer I had tried tipping the engine upside down and letting the area soak in a puddle WD-40 for a week, diesel for a week' then took it to a boat shop where they had a press set up to split them and that didnt work

So who knows it might come easy, or it might be a boat anchor