How do I adjust the Idle??

Cravinwaves

Cadet
I have a 81 Evinrude 115, Sounds rough in idle... sounds like its not getting enough gas or something. How do I adjust the idle up on this motor? Now after I run the boat for a while and shut it off, its hard to start still... but when I have it cruising the motor sounds really good, so I am hoping it just needs an adjustment. Any suggestions? Any would really be appreciated! Thanks!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do I adjust the Idle??

When was the last time the carb was rebuilt/cleaned throughly? Usually the idle needles do not get out of adjustment unless someone did some "fixing!" More likely, your carb is gummed up!

MAS

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: How do I adjust the Idle??

You got an idle speed adjustment screw, plus adjustable slow speed needles on the carbs, Mas is right, if was good before, and performance has degraded, then it's time to do a little basic maintenance.

Make sure the fuel and tank are clean and free from debris and the fuel line holds pressure.

Carb rebuild with new float valves & seats usually cures a hard warm start. Recommend a compression test & spark test first. Don't be intimated by your carbs, they're really quite simple devices. Get yourself a good service manual and go for it.