force 85 issue

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice
ok if you look at my previous posts you will notice that i had a idle problem and start up. now that is fixed the rebuild kit and new exaust boot did wonders but now i have another problem now it idles great but after a few weeks of use it is now starting to run very uneaven and sometimes not rev at all with the throttle all the way full it runs really slow and if i try to go back to idle it stalls. and when it does rev all the way it goes in and out. running very uneaven almost like its not getting enouph gas to keep it going. any ideas. thanks oh yea its a 1987

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 85 issue

rebuild kit? what did you rebuild?
carbs? fuel pump?

Definitely sounds fuel related.

What have you done to it so far?

john from md

Commander

Is your vent on the fuel tank clean? Have you checked the fuel strainers in the tank? Is the ball hard or soft when the engine quits?

Give us a little more to go on.

John

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

ok i replaced the exaust boot and rebuilt the carbs. i have clean the fuel filter on the engine. i havent checked the breather or the fuel pump that was going to be my next thing to do i was also thinking maby there was an air leak in the lines. if i can remember right its been a little while since i had it out i mean i am in ny its kinda cold that the primer ball was soft when running but i tryed to pump it to see if it would work better while running and no luck.

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

also where is the fuel pump located. and it it possible to put a universal electric fuel pump down by the gas tank. bc i cant seem to find parts for my force.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Fuel pump is located on the side of the powerhead.
Operated by compression pulses from the powerhead itself.
Electric pump would be a problem, not safe, would be on and pumping fuel all the time, creating a spill and fire hazard.

You can get parts at any Mercury dealer, or online at dozens of shops including iboats. Fuel pump rebuild kit is about $15.

Make sure the pickup tube in the tank is clean.
Replace the entire fuel line including the bulb.
Put the fuel pump rebuild kit in.

Check the float levels on the carbs.

john from md

Commander

Is the engine popping and coughing when it shuts down or does it just wind down and shut off? If it is popping, it is running lean.

Have you looked at the plugs right after it shuts off? If they are wet, you may be running too rich although this usually results in excess smoke.

Here is another possibility. Did you mix the right amount and type of oil with your gasoline. If you don't have enough gas in the oil the engine will heat up and shut down.

John

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

it just shuts off like if i just turned it off and yea the fuel mix is right. im very careful with that. im a golf course equipment mechanic i work on that kinda stuff all the time. i will look at rebulding the fuel pump and try to clean the tank out and change all the fuel lines. thanks for all your help im gonna be bring the boat into my shop at work next week to work on it so i will let you guys know how i make out.

john from md

Commander

If it shuts off as if you turned the key, you may also have an electrical problem. Take a look around under the flywheel to see if there are any loose or damaged wires. Let us know what you find when you get a chance to look at it.

John

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

ok you guys are great so i replaced the fuel line and rebuilt the fuel pump and everything seems to be great i mean in my test tank that is we will see when we get on the water in the spring.

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

oh and one more thing you guys can help me with. so i have a 17ft. bayliner capri cuddy cabin its a 1987.. im looking to get a top. can someone tell me which model or something that would work.

john from md

Commander

If you go to the iboats store and search for Bimini Tops, they have a selection program that will allow you to insert your boat make and come up with the right top for it.

I own a 16 ft Bayliner and I bought one from them last year. It fit and looks perfect.

John

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

yea i did that im not sure witch boat i have. all i know is the info i sent in my other reply. so would it be something like 1700 capri cuddy. because its 17ft. or do i need to find out. and there is so many options i dont know what it would look like on my boat like how high and long it is.

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

ok i took the boat out for the first time since working on it and bad news... it is bogging down alittle when cruising. it runs great out of the water in my test tank. i cant seem to figure it out. and you guys know what i have already done any ideas. you guys have helped me out alot so far. thank you.

john from md

Commander

Have you performed the decarb treatment that is explained in the FAQ section?

John

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

i went to the faq section and searched decarb and it showed no matches should i search something else

i989240sx

Seaman Apprentice

help again. ok so i clean the engine via seafoam. and it seems alittle better but still have a problem. what about the reed valves not working propperly i think it may be putting to much fuel and air into the compression chamber. or i am getting backflow back into the carbs. it boggs down on takeoff now and when it gets to wot it will start bogging again. it like hickups and it seems like the hotter it gets the worse it gets. and then it getts to the point where it will stall at even with the throttle all the way open and if i throttle it back when it hiccups it seems to work itself to an idle and run fine. im about ready to throw in my captins hat for this year if i cant figure this out soon. so please help me.