New Boat

manfoom

Cadet
I am in the market for a 19'-21' open-bow boat with an inboard/outboard. I don't know too much about different builders, and types of boats, and I was wondering what you, a knowledgeable group of boaters, thought about different brands. Specifically, I am looking at Bayliners, Maxums, and possibly Cobalts. Our older glastron was destroyed in a car accident, and we have no more than $23,000 to spend on a boat. I have looked at some of the makers web-sites, but they never post prices. :mad: Thank you in advance for any input.

D

DJ

Re: New Boat

Manfoom,<br /><br />You are two totally different ends of the price spectrum when you mention Bayliners and Cobalts in the same sentence. I doubt you can touch a new Cobalt for anywhere near that price.<br /><br />One piece of advice I can offer is-DO NOT buy a boat in the 19' to 21' range with less than a V-6 powerplant. You will be disapointed with a four cyl.

EGalvTex

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a chaparral 198 (19ft) bowrider and it performs very well. I bought my boat at auction, so I am unaware of current prices. I do know that chaparral makes some of the best built boats in the bowrider configuration. I also agree that any I/O should be at least a six cyl., an eight if possible on a boat that heavy. :p

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm it sounds like you're shopping the net not at local dealers. In that case, you're close enough to the border try a plug for a Canadian builder. Try Malibu boats in Canada based in the Okanagan(not the same as the Calfornia Malibu) at www.malibuboats.ca. They have dealers on the prairies and their prices are very reasonable for those of you with $US. They also make very fine boats.

manfoom

Cadet

Thanks for the tips so far. I have only been to one dealer so far (Bayliner) and was having a difficult time finding prices for others, and I wanted to get a general feel for the market. I had an idea that the Cobalts would be out of my price range, but I wanted to know how far out of range, and the possibility of getting one used. <br /><br />The Malibu boats looked nice, but I am in lowly Utah, and their dealer-finder only had Canadian outlets.<br /><br />After additional research I realize how naive my question seems, but it is hard even finding a place to start learning about boats. Most sites don't have prices, and most reviewer write with the attitude that if I don't allready know what makes a good boat then they certainly aren't going to tell me. I appreciate everyone's patience on this site, and keep the input coming. ;)

D

DJ

Manfoom,<br /><br />My suggestion would be for you to just shop as many brands as you can lay your eyeballs on. Poke around them-if a dealer won't let you open hatches, etc. you know you don't want to buy there and tell them so.<br /><br />Look in places that most folks do not look, bilges, back sides of hatches, under seats, under dashes, etc. You'll start to find big differences. You will also start to recognize quality.

Adversary98

Recruit

Manfoom,<br /><br />There are several builders who build fine boats in your price range. I personally tend to like the smaller builders as compared to the giants like Genmar (Glastron, Larson, Wellcraft and others - though I still like Four Winns, that may change with Genmar's planned changes) and Brunswick (Bayliner, Maxum, Sea Ray). Check out the quality you get from the smaller builders:<br /><br />www.caravelleboats.com<br />www.ebbtideboats.com<br />www.rinkerboats.com<br />www.bryantboats.com<br /><br />Of these, the Bryants may be the most expensive. All are good to look at in this range. Personally, I have a Caravelle 209 and am very happy with it. It is a very good quality boat with a reasonable price.<br /><br />Good Luck and follow some of the advice you've already gotten. Look at them all. You will see where the value is.

Knoxes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There have been some good brands mentioned here. I'd include Wellcraft and Chris Craft in that group. Personally, I would avoid a Bayliner. My experience with them has not been good (but it's been a few years) and I see my local market flooded with very cheap 5-8 yr old models, which leads me to believe they're not holding up and owners are dumping them. Specifically, the Capri that I'm referring to had numerous problems: shift linkage, steering, seat frames, windshield frame failure, etc. And it was only a couple of years old. They may be making them better now, I don't know, but not too long ago, they were basically disposable. Just my $.02.

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Manfoom,<br /><br />Alot of good advise above. May want to check out J.D. Power owner survey online. I lean towards Chaparral, great boat for the money, but there are alot of fine boats out there. You may want to consider a boat a couple of years old that is good quality and V8 powered. If you go used and don't know too much about boats have any prospects surveyed. Also check out online boating magazines for reviews.<br />Whategever you get, good luck and good boating.

DA

Cadet

Manfoom,<br /> We just bought a 19ft stingray back in March. I did the same thing you are doing by looking at several different makes. I found in all my research that bayliner was not recomended by anyone that I talked to. If your going to spend that kind of cake, buy something that is going to last. I came very close to buying the caravelle but didn't because dealer was just a little to far away. I have been nothing but pleased with my stingray so far. That's my two cents. Good Luck!!!!!!!

manfoom

Cadet

thank you all, especially Adversary98, those were some helpful links. It seems that most of those dealers are about an hour away from home, but I guess an hour is a small price to pay for quality.<br /><br />I know that the market is kind of flooded with Bayliner Capris right now, but I believe that is partially due to the boats popularity. Bayliner sells more boats than anyone (I have heard). I know this is not necessarily an indication of quality, but I guess I was looking for input from people with experience in addition to what people have heard.<br /><br />thanks again, I'm off to check the JD Power surveys on boats :)

Knoxes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, ok, I hate to bash them, but it is my experience - I'll be explicit in the problems with the Capri. First, the shift linkage was just terrible. We always had to shut the motor off with skiers entering/exiting the boat, because you just never knew whether it was in gear or not. Some people might do that anyway, but try out a Mastercraft or a Nautique - it's not necessary. Both seat frames broke, which means they were always prone. The swinging part of the windshield just fell off one day. The steering was horrible, it would never track straight. You could never tell if the blower was running so we just left the switch on all the time. Speedo stopped working and shortly after, the tach. I could go on... and this wasn't an old boat when all this happened.

JBoller

Recruit

Hi Manfoom,<br />I just traded up from a 17.5 foot '96 Larson to a 18 foot 02 Four Winns. A quality boat in your price range. Take a look http://www.fourwinns.com and good luck.<br /><br />D@mn the torpedoes...Full speed ahead

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

There are many builders with a model in this size. So you have a huge range of choices. Dunno which dealers are available to you. And any short list of boats will be a "personal statement" to a large degree. But it's always fun to spend somebody else's money! So here are the standouts, as I see 'em -<br /><br />Bryant 198<br />Chaparral 200 SSe<br />Crownline 192 BR<br />Hurricane FunDeck GS 201<br />Monterey 200 LS<br />Stingray 200LX<br /><br />Which does cover a range of flavors.<br /><br />I do see a fair number of Utah guys posting over at www.trailerboats.com<br /><br />Kelly Cook<br />Arizona

CHUCKB1

Cadet

Manfoom,<br /><br />You ought to look at the Lund Tyee. I'm a fan of Lund aluminum boats because they're more versatile than fiberglass boats. They're lighter, easier to trailer, more rugged and perform better than a fiberglass boat with equal size motor. And yes they're good ski boats.

manfoom

Cadet

Thanks Chuck, but I don't think I can talk the family into aluminum. I just got off the phone and my Mom seems to have her heart set on a NEW 19 ft. Monterey (She also likes a slightly used 21 ft. Sea Ray, which is used). I don't know too much about the Montereys, but JD Power ranks the Sea Rays fairly high. Which is all well and good, but the seating arrangements seem very poor in a Sea Ray. We usually take the boat to Lake Powell, and while we usually don't ski or board with more than 4 or 5 people, we sometimes have to travel the channel with 7-9 people. So seating is at a premium. Any more info? I love the input thus far, and I have been trying to educate myself on other sites, and at dealers as well.

msm427

Recruit

Bayliner boats may not have been the best thing on the water in the past, but since the take over there has been many changes. Some of the problems knoxes talked about was not a bayliner problem ie, the speedo works of the merc. stern drive, the steering is teleflex, the blower is not made by bayliner, and the shifter is not bayliner. Since 2000 the capri is a different boat...BETTER... YOU CAN HAVE ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS ON ANY BOAT ON ANY DAY.

Knoxes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, fair enough. It was a long time ago and I haven't had any recent experience. It may be an entirely different boat now for all I know.

MATTT

Seaman

msm427,<br /><br />Yes, the parts were made by many different vendor. But the company always seem to buy the cheapest part and stuck it to the boat. That is why they keep on breaking. So, if you buy a cheap boat, you would get a cheap of everything in your boat. I owned a Fourwinns 2000 18'horizon. I like the boat, and I only have 14hrs on it. So far the power trim and tilt reservoir has cracked around the pump. Fourwinns company said that is a VolVos part, but **** it is in a Fourwinns boat !!!!! It seem like more and more boats company are buying cheap part and put it in their boat to cut cost. I could be wrong, but that is what I see in my boat.<br /><br />Later,