mercury black max 150/200 shift interrupt switch?

brianswyatt

Recruit
I have a 1990 (I believe) serial number 6305277 (motor cover is 150, but seller told me it is a 200??) It is a black max and here is what happened. Warmed-up engine and backed off trailer. I put the engine in neutral and the hot-foot was sticking so as to keep the rpms from over-revving I shut the engine off with the key. When I pulled the hand throttle back into neutral and went to turn the key, nothing. Seems just like when you try to start your car and it is in gear. Opened the engine hood and verified it is in neutral. Only fuse I could see was the breaker style which should pop out under the master power toggle switch in front of the hand throttle, it was pressed in. Boat is a 1990 18ft basstracker. Oil injector removed and mix own gas and oil. When I say nothing, it is as if I am not turning the key at all.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury black max 150/200 shift interrupt switch?

Brian, The neutral Start switch is in the MerControl. It sounds like you do not have the shifter in the neutral position. It is supposed to be synchronized with the motor's shifter, but sometimes that can be off a bit.

BTW You can get on the Maxrules.com website and look up the year of that motor by serial number and HP

brianswyatt

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the switch in on the passenger side of the engine under the cover, it appears to be in neutral. Slid it forward and backward a touch just in case and no change. I don't think I could have done any harm due to such a brief run time. Any fuses or switches I should look for since it was not in neutral when I shut it down?

As for the engine, I cannot figure out the hp because the cover says 150, yet the previous owner told me it was a 200. The serial number shows ranges for 150's and 200's produced in the ranges where my number would fall. Any other way to narrow it down? I would buy the service manual if I knew which one to buy.

brianswyatt

Recruit

Is there a master-fuse on the engine I could have blown?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Brian, Look for a part number on the block. Then start looking on the Crowleymarine.com site until you match it as to HP and year.

If there is a fuse, it should be near the starter solenoid. it will cut power to the entire motor. If the choke or PTT work, the fuse is probably OK