1979 150hp Johnson trouble with tilt/trim

jandt513

Recruit
I just bought a well maintained used boat and I'm having trouble with the trim/tilt. The second time taking it out it wouldn't lift and popped the fuse. The motors are definatly running. Once we got it home and started work I noticed it is making a loud clicking noise while trying to lift and lower it. It lifts ok but still ticks very loudly, when lowering it hesitates for a minute then drops real fast (almost like it's catching up to itself) all the time clicking very loudly. I have changed the fluid, it was red. I have bought the book but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions?

James

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 150hp Johnson trouble with tilt/trim

You will want to be sure that you have no air in the system.

Have the boat as level as possible, then lift the motor all of the way up and support it.

Remove the fill plug and fill to overflow, then replace the plug.

Lower the engine and cycle all the way up and down several times.

Repeat the process as many as five times may be necessary.

BTW, be sure that all grease fittings are well lubricated, especially those for the tilt tube that are accessed from the front of the motor.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 150hp Johnson trouble with tilt/trim

Make sure the trim reservoir is full. The switch in the control box handle directly controls the down trim motor movement on that engine. When going up, the handle switch controls the solenoid in the box under the splashwell. When going up, you should hear the solenoid click.