1987 bellows replacement

busatom

Cadet
I will be changing all of the bellows on my 1987 Baja 240 sport with a 454 magnum Merc Alpha 1 drive. What bellows will I need to change all of them, and is Sierra a good brand to go with? West Marine carries both and says yes. I have thru hull exhaust. I recently purchased the boat, and not sure, what if anything has been done to the boat. Thanks,

Tom

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 bellows replacement

Ayuh,...

You'll need the driveshaft bellows,+ the shift cable bellows...

I'd do the whole lower shift cable while you're there... It's bellows comes with the cable kit...

Probably otta change the trim,+ tilt switches too, if you use 'em... I don't..

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Go with OEM replacment parts always. Seirra is okay but going with merc parts is much better. I would replace the shift cable (kit comes with shift cable bellows) abd the U-joint bellows. You shouldn't need to worry about the exhaust bellows considering you have thru-hull exhaust (unless you have silent choice). My guess is you probably have an exhuast tube, not bellows anyways.

Good Luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The reason for using the OEM shift cable, is that the inner core wire is now teflon coated and REALLY smooth operating and lasts a lot longer than the aftermarket cables.
The OEM part number for the shift cable kit (with bellows) is 865436A03.
OEM ujoint bellows PN 60932A4
Water hose between bellhousing and transom shield is 32461.

Since you will have the outdrive off, you might also want to consider replacing the impeller in the drive. And don't forget to check the alignment while the drive is off.

You can find a link to the OEM service manual for your engine and outdrive up in the Adults only sticky. You want manual #6 for your outdrive.

chiefalen

Captain

Inspect the u-joint real real good and the gimbal bearing.