Head Gasket

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering. I have read in post that you can reuse a head gasket and on others you cannot. Lets say you had a perfectly fine head gasket. No leaks. Nothing wrong with it at all. For some reason you had to remove the head. Like the spark plug port was striped. Now you have to remove head and get the port re-threaded. Remember head gasket is perfectly fine. No problems what so ever. You remove head have work done on head. Can you reuse the same head gasket? Or must you replace head gasket with a new one? I had a similar experience and I just replaced head gasket with a new one. Did I waste my money? Could I have used my old one being it was good in the first place? Just asking, so I know what I can and cannot do it the future.

mthieme

Captain
Re: Head Gasket

See the Chief for your $20.:D
Use a gasket sealer at least if you're gonna do this.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

For my personal use I re-use head gaskets (in good condition) all the time with no ill effects.

As I have said before, I prefer them because usually you don't need to re-torque them after the engine has been run the first time.

However when rebuilding for other people I follow factory procedure and install a new head gasket. After all, if something should happen and it leaks, I know it was materials failure, not workmanship.

So: You pays your money, you takes your choice.

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class

For my personal use I re-use head gaskets (in good condition) all the time with no ill effects.

As I have said before, I prefer them because usually you don't need to re-torque them after the engine has been run the first time.

However when rebuilding for other people I follow factory procedure and install a new head gasket. After all, if something should happen and it leaks, I know it was materials failure, not workmanship.

So: You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Frank, when you re-use a head gasket do you put any type of sealant? If so what do you use?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Frank, when you re-use a head gasket do you put any type of sealant? If so what do you use?

I would only use permatex sealer if it is weeping water ourside the block and then, only on the surfaces that seal the water jacket--never the steel compression seal rings. So far I have been lucky and not needed any sealer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you run in salt water buy new.Fresh water is easier on the gasket.The salt crystilizes on the hot spots.
But I have found NEW is best.I get mine from NAPA Auto Parts.A lot cheaper than oEM.Jerry