Tax question

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello to everyone,
I went ahead and filed my taxes yesterday and recieved a declaration control number from the IRS and I thought I had covered all of my deductions; however, today I recieved two more form 1098's, Mortgage Interest Statements, today in the mail that is a little over 1,000.00 dollars. My question is I used Tax Cutt basic from the IRS and did my taxes by myself. How do you go about adding this additional interest to my taxes becuase If I can add this interest in there I will get more refund back at least 200.00 more. Thanks for your help, Bob:)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tax question

Ayuh,...

I pay a guy to handle mine,...
But I do know you can file an Amended return for up to a couple of years....

gss036

Commander

Go back into your (the program) tax file, if you can access it and you should be able to. File a 1040X, which is the ammended form. That stuff happens when one gets in a hurry. I am still lacking about 1/2 the stuff I need. Next week all the other stuff should come in.

KRS

Banned

Well.. that depends.

Which deduction method did you use?

If you standard deducted exceeded your itemized deductions; then there is no need to file an amendment.

If you opted to use the itemized deductions; then filing an amendment might be for you.

I typically avoid doing my taxes until after January; my memory just isn't good enough to recall everything I should have in hand.

KRS

KRS

Banned

LOL, not aimed at you !

I hate tax season....

KRS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

And I haven't even got any of my info yet :(

The deadline to receive your w2 in the US is approximately 14 days after Jan. 31 (or around Feb. 14th). Companies have to have their w2 postmarked by that date not the date you receive them. If after the allowance give above and you have not received your w2, contact the payroll dept. of your company

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm still waiting for the IRS to produce new 2008 forms. I need the Form 8839 before I can file (BIG CREDIT). When I called, they said they had no idea when the 2008 form would be out, but hopefully before April :(

Good Luck amending your return.

gss036

Commander

Kurt, you might be able to go on line and find it on the ITRS site, then print it out. Just an idea.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't want to side track this thread other than to point out that not all forms for filing are yet available from the IRS.

I went on IRS.gov and the 8839 wasn't there (still have 2007 posted). I tried one of the online tax services that let's you pay once you are ready to submit and while it figured the credit appropriately, it kicked my form out and said the 8839 had yet to be revised. There was a proprietary message that it should happen after 1/28 so I hope they have better info than the IRS help line.

I want to spend some of the refund on the boat :D I see a new bimini in the future.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I don't like to rush to submit even though I occasionally get a substantial return. Case in point, last year's amended AMT. Fortunately, I remembered they were making an update to it as I was doing the calculations. Logged onto the IRS site and got the latest version.

My favorite is still; this form required by the paperwork reduction act

Speaking of which, this would be more to the point:

How much did you make?
Send it in...