87 capri force to merc 115hp swap

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I am in the midle of swapping out my 125 force for an old 1972 merc115/115hp. just wondering what everyone thinks and if anyone has done it befor. my force spit the bearings out of the #1 cylinder, and was ran that way for a while from what I was told (got the boat cheap) and cranks and power heads are not cheap. but I already have the merc. anyway please feel free to give me your thoughts

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: 87 capri force to merc 115hp swap

Danny
Sounds like a great idea, depending on how much you got the merc for. It seems that some of the Chrysler/Force engines were overrated in their power compared to the merc's which apparently were underrated in earlier (pre 80's) years. :eek:
I was always a Merc fan when I was younger although I've never owned one. They always seemed to put out great power and be very good ski engines. However, a lot of guys on the forum here seem to favour the johnny/rude stuff, which has me paying more attention to those motors lately.:)
Regardless, you are probably going to see an increase in power so keep us posted in what results you see in the boats performance.
By your comments I assume you never ran the boat/motor successfully with the Force...correct?...so you may not have any comparison reference.
Good move tho' and good choice I think.
BP:cool:

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 87 capri force to merc 115hp swap

I did get the merc cheep, they had it on an old boat behind thier barn and gave it to me, the hole deel only cost me $800, the boat the merc came off of had been ran aground by thier kids and had a hole in it so they said I was doing a favor taking it away, and the best part, they delivered both to me! very good people I may add. it was nice to have them side by side for the swap because I could trace wires and the controle cables out of the merc boat fit the bayliner! and the merc may need some tlc but it does run good in my test tank. I will keep you posted as I go.