90tldi

atom2000

Cadet
Hi
one for you Tohatsu Guru. Just a basic info. the tldi can show fault codes through a combination of the warning lights/rev counter appx 28 codes. can this be activated by a simple procedure or a computer is required.maybe you could outline the procedure briefly.

2 gear oil. is a good APLG5 gear oil ok for it ex Bardahls gear oil 80 or 90.

Havent yet bought the engine so no manual at hand yet but I am trying to get so info so i know what to expect if fault finding etc ir required.

thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 90tldi

Unlike other brands(that I am too kind too slam), TLDI models have an onboard diagnostic function built into the ECM. Everything reads out through the tach, so no special software or puter is needed. But, without a manual you would be lost as to what the codes mean:) Right now the engine comes with a five year warranty that you would void if you decided to play mechanic on one, soooo.....Do not touch:)

Gear oil is standard for the industry with any 85-90 being fine. You can buy some really good marine formulations, but even auto works okay.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

On a side note....Oddly enough there was some discussion between myself and Tohatsu this week as to why the superiority of the TLDI's self diagnostic suite is never promoted or mentioned by them in any advertisments.

atom2000

Cadet

Hi Tohatsu Guru, thanks a lot. I sold my boat and ordered a 17 cabin and was deceiding between the 90 TLDI and ETEC. I already own a 9.8 tohatsu 4 years old used for trolling and never had any trouble.The main engines where always Johnsons and also never any trouble. In fact I had three the last was a fifty.(changing boats)but now i kept the aux. Considering everthing price maintenance etc it seems the tohatsu is a better option,although my heart says Johnsons.but this time it would be an exception.As soon as i order the motor I will buy the manual as in all other application cars and outboards i own. One other thing if you dont mind.would i be mistaken if i say that i read sowhere on the forum that you are also a dealer and a mechanic. If so do you ship any required parts to Malta if the need arise since here we have only one dealer as in all other things and sometimes you have to wait a bit.
Hope not breaking any forum rules by the last bit, if so just let me know and i will edit it
regards
Ian

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You won't get the five year warranty as it is a U.S. thing....Yes, we do ship internationally. We also assess a $50.00 surcharge for international parts orders. You can probably get the manual for less through your local dealer for that reason.

atom2000

Cadet

Thanks. here we get 3 years warranty.do you have a site etc if the need arise i can contact. Its good to know someone at least better than as is.
thank you again for your patience and help
regards

atom2000

Cadet

thanks pvanv.It happens that I have this site on my favourites. what a small world. thanks.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I assume it's the repair manual you want but you do know that the owners manual is available for download on tohatsu's website?