Mariner 75hp problem

tncog

Recruit
I took my boat out today and the engine ran fine but when I started out across the water it started to lose power from the engine to the lower unit. It seemed to bog down after a couple of hundred yards and started to slow down. At idle speed it was OK but could not get it to go any faster without it bogging down. When I shifted back into neutral the engine revved up fine. Can anybody tell me what I need to look for to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

James P

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mariner 75hp problem

I had a similar problem with my boat last summer. I replaced my primer bulb and fixed the problem. I'm sure someone will give you a number of possibilities of your problem. If the primer bulb hasn't been replaced in a while it wouldn't be a waste to change it.

tncog

Recruit

I don't think that this is the problem as it seemed that the motor was getting too much gas as it started to flood out the engine trying to get it to go faster. It did make the engine stop if I did not pull back on the throttle but it would crank right back up again when started. Just could never get it to pick up any speed but ran OK at very low speed.

Laddies

Banned

You need to clean the carbs and install a fuel pump kit.