Outboard inspecting questions.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Although I circulate outboards through here from time to time, I have yet to purchase one believed to be in running condition, where a compression test or lower unit oil inspection would be a deal breaker. So, I am not sure about what is the proper method about inspecting one of these. Most importantly, when checking the Lower unit lube, do y'all just let a little drip out of the bottom, and top it off from the top, or do you empty the whole thing, and refill it with fresh, along with new seals? I am unsure what is really the customary deal here.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard inspecting questions.

Unless you intend to re-fill with a hypodermic needle, filling a lower unit from thetop is a two-case of beer ordeal. It doesn't matter if you let two drops or the entire load of lub out the drain, you refill it from the bottom. While you have the plug out let it drain entirely and then refill with fresh lub so you know what you have. As for inspection, any engine I cannot hear run is a junk engine and priced accordingly regardless how well the owner says it runs -- especially if he/she says "all it needs is a tune-up.".

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the main thing about the lower unit, is to check it before the motor is started. the water settles to the bottom, so if you remove the plug, the water will come out first. if there is a good bit of water and the motor is run first, the lube will be cloudy, off color. after i buy one i change the lower fluid, with new plug seals. impeller, etc.

pvanv

Admiral

Yep. If you can't verify the actual maintenance history, drain and refill the LU. Should be done annually anyway. Yes, refill it from the bottom, or you will have a challenge getting the lube into the case. That also confirms that bubbles are out. The LU lube level is important. Not overfilled ever (causes insufficient expansion room), and not low (might starve and wreck the driveshaft bearing).

Look for water and/or metal fragments in the drained lube. If you find ANY, plan on replacing the appropriate seals and/or parts. If the motor ran recently, water will have blended into the lube, and make the lube milky. That's still water in the lube, and the problem should be corrected.

Ditto for the impeller -- if you go through all the labor to inspect it -- and you should, change it. If you have the LU apart for any reason, consider replacing the shift rod o-ring(s). Cheap, and often overlooked.

On motors that use nylon LU drain plug seals, they can sometimes be reused, but often a backyard mechanic has used an improper screwdriver to remove the plugs, or severely overtightened them and they're mangled. That means to install new drain plugs to save future headaches. Since the seals are cheap, and you have the plugs out to drain/refill, replace the drain plug seals at the same time.

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class

if possible i would pull of the crank and inspect the Stator. I just got what i thought was a good deal...to find out i need a stator and rectifier which will run me 200.......The motor Ran good when the guy fired it for me...but the stator begins to melt and arc about 3 min. into the run. he only ran it for maybe 1 min when i bought it. So Check under the crank it's easy to pull them.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I am familiar with all the right techniques for refilling lower unit oil correctly, as well as everything else I should check (basically everything I would check while doing a diagnoses on an engine with unknown condition), but I was just checking to see what was customary as far as lower unit lube is concerned. I guess if I am looking for a running used motor (not a project like the bazillion other motors I have bought), then I will take a bottle of lube and a couple of seals as well.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i only open the bottom, and not let enough run out, to need to top off the lube. if there is water in the lower you will know immediately. replacing the seal would be a nice gesture, especially if you don't buy it. but the next buyer, if educated, is going to do the same thing.