Mercruiser Shopping list

cantaris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I am going to keep my Mercruiser setup, I am going to need to aquire some things. I currentlyhave a merc 165 L6 1971 ish, outdrive is a pre alpha 120/140hp (yeah I know wrong drive). I have a chevy 350 that I am going to install. So I need to make a shopping list. What am I going to need ? Everything. Assume I have nothing but an engine (non marine) that is in disassembled state. I would like to make this a freshwater system. Everything for the engine. transom? Outdrive type and components. Lay it on me. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Shopping list

What am I going to need ? Everything.

Ayuh,...

A Donor boat with the driveline of your Choice will be Easier,+ Cheaper than where you're headed now...

chiefalen

Captain

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cantaris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,...

A Donor boat with the driveline of your Choice will be Easier,+ Cheaper than where you're headed now...

So what Merc drive should I look for? And what should I stay away from? Years?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

The Cheapest way out is an Alpha 1/ MR drive,....

Anything from 82 to 91 will get you That....
Newer will be a Gen.II drive,... Older will be another version of what you have....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would move Bondo's date up to about 85. Big problem with the earlier R and One drives is the lack of shift interrupt switchs WHEN (not if) they fail. They are NLA completly from Merc and require new kits (including trim pump $$$$) to upgrade. That upgrade isn't even possible on the earlier ones. You just end up with nothing.

WizeOne

Commander

I would move Bondo's date up to about 85. Big problem with the earlier R and One drives is the lack of shift interrupt switchs WHEN (not if) they fail. They are NLA completly from Merc and require new kits (including trim pump $$$$) to upgrade. That upgrade isn't even possible on the earlier ones. You just end up with nothing.

Can you post a picture of a Merc 1 interupt switch?

Don S

There were several different styles, depends on what engine/year etc. you have.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah I found that out a few years ago and NO ONE had the switch.

I was able to locate a switch (after hours of searching online) that was very close in size and had the correct arm length and nylon roller, only had to made a little adapter bracket so it would fit in place. It might not be "marine grade" but I gobbed some grease on to seal it up (like the old one) and it's worked perfect for 5 years.

Certainly not discounting what Don S said though, most people would be SOL.

Oh yeah, I agree with the others, find a donor boat and get everything from there instead of trying to adapt the V8 to your L6 equipped boat, going to be cheaper and easier int the long run.

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeOne

Ayuh,.... There's a Bunch of Ever so Slightly Different 1s....All of 'em NLA....

I don't think I'd let that bother me though,...
I've seen them on drives, Right up to the Gen.IIs....
That would eliminate All of the Alpha 1s...

Personally,...
Anything New enough to have the squared cases,+ Not have the reverse-lock on the transom is New Enough for me....

Even if the shift switch is Screwed,...
A used 1 off a Gen.II is a direct swap update...
Shift plate for shift plate,... Not switch for switch...

Don S

Yoiu can get new shift plates to replace the 85 and newer models, or at least easy enough to make it fit. Like fisherdan, I have made some other Merc switches work by only drilling 1 hole different and bending the arm slightly. But they are NLA also.
I was actually going to try to use a Cobra shift interrupt switch on one of the old 1 drives with the reverse lock, but they were out of stock at the time and I kind of forgot about it.
Guess we should appoligize to cantaris for hijacking his thread.

Bondo

Staff member

or at least easy enough to make it fit.

Ayuh,...

That's what it's All about,.. Ain't it,..?? ;)

Guess we should appoligize to cantaris for hijacking his thread.

Naw,.... He'll be Lovin' it.......:D

cantaris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,...

The Cheapest way out is an Alpha 1/ MR drive,....

Anything from 82 to 91 will get you That....
Newer will be a Gen.II drive,... Older will be another version of what you have....

Hijackin aside.:D So alpha 1 85- 91. So what all do I need? My engine is 350 with manifolds and risers, fresh water pump and raw water pump, thermostat housing that looks like a spider(8 hoses). So what else do I need? What heat exchanger? What oilcooler? What y pipe? What bellhousing? Sorry for the continueing queations, but I am really at a loss. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

So what else do I need? What heat exchanger? What oilcooler? What y pipe? What bellhousing? Sorry for the continueing queations, but I am really at a loss. Thanks

Ayuh,.... ALL of it....

That's Why I keep telling folks to buy a Donor Boat,....
Otherwise,...
You'll spent Twice, 'ell 4 times the money necessary to do the Job...

Don S

There are so many little pieces that it would be impossible for anyone to make a lost of all the parts you need for that.
Just go up to the Adults only thread and go to the service manual link. Download manual #6 manual for the 83 to 90 drives, and #14 for the 91 and newer drives. It has parts breakdowns of the transom shield, trim, steering, etc. Then you need an engine manual for all the engine accessories on the engine.
If you go buying all the partsi individually, the freight alone will be more than most doner boats.

WizeOne

Commander

I have a 1976 888 setup. I have not yet had time to find the drive serial number as it is unreadable on the back decal and I have not wanted to scrape off the side decal to find the number stamp underneath. It is however the original drive.

I also have manual #2 but was not able to find the shift interupt switch in the index.

Don S

Page 2B-10 Fig 7, top left of the page "Shift Cutout Switch" is what they called it then.

fishrdan

Admiral

I've seen adds for complete engine/drive setups advertised on Ebay and craigslist. The guys took a sawzall and cut the drive free from the transom then unbolted the motor mounts. You get everything needed except the shifter/cables, gauges, steering.

D

DJ

I've seen adds for complete engine/drive setups advertised on Ebay and craigslist. The guys took a sawzall and cut the drive free from the transom then unbolted the motor mounts. You get everything needed except the shifter/cables, gauges, steering.

I'm thinking storm damage "flooded" or HOT!:eek: