Where Can I Buy Brushes Kit For A Trim/Tilt Motor 89 Force 125

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,
I was messing with my 89 Force 125 OB and the Trim/Tilt Motor is not working. I tried to jump the Blue and Green Wires with no results. I took the motor apart and noticed the Springs and Brushes were messed up. Do you know where I can buy some of these? Also if you have any pointers on troubleshooting this problem, I would very much thank you.

Thanks, Tim

RRitt

Captain
Re: Where Can I Buy Brushes Kit For A Trim/Tilt Motor 89 Force 125

you can buy brushes and springs from mercury dealer (9657K66 and 392-8989).

You MUST also install new seals. DO NOT reuse your old seals. DO NOT use the wrong part (like an oversize oring from hardware store). DO NOT coat the old parts with silicone sealant. It will not work and water will probably get inside motor. If rust gets behind the magnets then you're screwed. You will end up having to pay $200 when you could have had it rebuilt properly for under $100 in the first place. DO NOT COMPROMISE THE WATER SEALS IN ANY WAY.

so, you're going to need -
a set of through bolts with new washers (mercury part # 820549).
a size 0038 die cut square ring (oring with square cross section)

then boil the cable grommet and see if it is still pliable. If not then go to an electrical supply house and buy a watertight "cord grip" with same size grommet.

That's the good news. Now the bad news. Almost always when a DIY mechanic says that his brush springs and brushes need replacing then there is also rust behind the magnets. If, and only if, there is rust getting behind magnets then you need to carefully remove the magnets and de-rust the field frame. They break easily, so be slow and gentle. Take note of which direction is up so that you can later put them back in same way. Now you need to bead blast the frame to remove all rust. Then dip it in phosphoric acid to etch it. Then dip it in metal-prep to give it zinc coating. Then glue magnets back in using marine-tex or the highest grade epoxy you van find. Then prime & paint inside of magnet frame so that your "new" motor will actually be a better built motor than the ones at the store.

Once you're absolutely positive that the insides of your motor are a 110% rust free zone - then put it back together.
A. - do not use excessive lubricants. The upper and lower bearings are vacum impregnated with oil. Just a very light layer of assembly oil on armature is all you need.
B. - put the armature in a drill presss and polish the the contacts with 800 grit sandpaper
C. - before assembly look inside reservoir. Make sure oil seal is in good shape and securely seated. If it is falling out then use a dab of red locktite to put it back into place.
D. - after assembly flip motor upside down and check drop distance from reservoir rim to end of armature shaft. It should be between 3/16" and 1/4". If end play is not in spec then disassemble motor and stack PTFE shims on armature to bring end-play into tolerance. If your end play drop is more than 1/4 then pump motor may pop out of gear under pressure.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wew!!!!!

I think I'll get someone to do this for me. Thanks for your info.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Send it to Rritt. I sent him my tilt/trim unit for repair of the cylinder and he did a very nice job.

RRitt

Captain

Wew!!!!!

I think I'll get someone to do this for me. Thanks for your info.

If you have rust or corrosion then i think that is a wise idea.

If your motor is clean on inside then it's usually pretty easy once you have the -0038 square rings. Mercury sells almost everything else you need and almost any marina should be able to sell you a 3foot whip of 14/2 flat cable. The SR0038 motor seals are a different story. Grainger probably has them but you may need to buy 100 or more.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RRitt,
Can you fix my motor? My emaill address is ttck2005@comcast.net

I live in Staunton, Va.

Thanks, Tim