Aretha

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Aretha

Maybe, maybe not, but I am and I thought it was great. Maybe not the voice she had when she was young, but the same artistry.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The cold air most likely messed up her vocal cords I thought it sounded ok

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I don't disagree that her voice didn't sound as strong as we have come to know it over so many years. That said, she is a nearly 67 year old woman who was singing in very cold weather. Vocal cords like to be nice and warm, and the deep breathing that is required while singing powerfully, certainly had some effect on hers.

Most importantly, however, is that this was ARETHA!!!!!!!!!!! I am well into my fifties and hearing someone crank up Aretha singing "Respect," still makes me wanna dance! Hmmmmmmmm - I think we need an "old dude dancing" emoticon around here!

BTW - just for trivia fun - who wrote the the "Respect?" Try to get it without looking it up.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ya hafta think...
We are used to CD recording that have been remastered and digitally enhanced....Preserved for all eternity in it's perfection..Then you hear a live performance, it's not what your accustomed to hearing...

I miss the turntable myself, the cracking and popping was all part of the experience..But I may be showing my age..lol (43 btw)