08 Honda 225 Surging at Fast Idle

HighHook23

Recruit
On my last trip I noticed a mild surging on the digital tach of 100-150 rpm's while in fast idle (1200-1800).

It was confirmed by putting my ear up to the engine and hearing the mild up and down revving.

At any other speed no surging noticed. It occurred both leaving the dock and upon returning after a 25+ mile run so engine was fully warmed up.

I have put only 50 hours on the engine and Im getting used to its nuances.

I dont know if its a non issue or something that I need to address.

All comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

gss036

Commander
Re: 08 Honda 225 Surging at Fast Idle

I have a new Honda 225 also, I only have 26 hours on mine, no surge, but it does idle a little rougher than I had expected. I have asked 2 different dealers about it since it is still well within the 5 year Honda warranty. They both told me to give it smoe time before messing with it. (?) Yours should be also. Usually a slight surge is cased by a (maybe?) a vaccum leak, loose/split hose etc. Maybe it is time to have the dealer correct the problem under warranty if it really bothers you.

HighHook23

Recruit

gss,

Thanks for responding.

The surge is very mild, almost feels and "looks" like a rough idle on the tach due to the fluctuations. However, there is absolutely no hesitation when you hit the throttle.

Surging wont bother me if its harmless.

As far as the rough idle on your engine, my 225 is not exactly silky smooth in neutral either. My dealer did tell me when I purchased the engine that the "kinks" get worked out after "a couple hundred hours" when the engine is fully broken in.

gss036

Commander

OK, I can buy into that theory. I am running a 4 blade prop on mine. I started out with what they considered the standard prop. I wanted more stern lift because of the extra weight since I had gone from a 1989 200 Mec carbed engine. Worked out great for me. I also installed a Northstat fuel folw guage but haven't been able to run the boat since, hopefully first part of Februay if the weather holds here in the Puget Sound area, it was like 23-23 degree today.