building from just a hull

oldblue

Seaman Apprentice
i was givin a 19' stott craft hull and sub floor and i am planning on building and have a few questions the boat was run a ground and cracked the hull so the top was removed and put on another hull and i got the cracked one. the firt question is when i seperaited the sub floor it was (glued?) down with something that looked like regular bondo maybie epoxy or something? what should i get to to glue it back in its sructural and needs not to flex it acts as the stringers. second the foam was a little wet but has sence dried months later does it need to be glued in or just set buack in place being the sub floor is glued over it and lastly for now 3m's 5200 could it be used to seal over the crack after fiber glassing for a little extra seal or be just a waste the floor is kinda thin and needs all the help it can get any suggestions on fixing the crack i have an idea to go with but never done it before its about 3.5 foot long and all the way thru not just a stress crack

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: building from just a hull

i was givin a 19' stott craft hull and sub floor and i am planning on building and have a few questions the boat was run a ground and cracked the hull so the top was removed and put on another hull and i got the cracked one. the firt question is when i seperaited the sub floor it was (glued?) down with something that looked like regular bondo maybie epoxy or something? what should i get to to glue it back in its sructural and needs not to flex it acts as the stringers. second the foam was a little wet but has sence dried months later does it need to be glued in or just set buack in place being the sub floor is glued over it and lastly for now 3m's 5200 could it be used to seal over the crack after fiber glassing for a little extra seal or be just a waste the floor is kinda thin and needs all the help it can get any suggestions on fixing the crack i have an idea to go with but never done it before its about 3.5 foot long and all the way thru not just a stress crack

first....impossible to tell with out pictures........epoxy was not used in production boat building....if the boat was restored it could be anything.

second.....the foam needs to be replaced......all of it come out....and pour in new stuff.....once the foam is wet....and drys....it will absorbe water like a sponge and never dry out again.....ALL of you work will be ruined if you dont replace it.

the crack in the hull needs to be glassed inside and out......that is the only way to fix it permanantly.

read the thread called hull ext in progress for total glassing a-z's

hope that helps