1989 bayliner capri 2.3l fordengine-omc cobra gear case

eru

Cadet
i just got a 1989 bayliner capri with a inboard 2.3l ford engine with omc cobragear case :(
is a project ..i need help with the shifter cable that goes from the engine to the upper gear case, the cable is frozen i dont know how to remove it from the gear case it seems it goes inside the case do i have to drop the tranny?thanks any help will do :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 bayliner capri 2.3l fordengine-omc cobra gear case

Eru,
First of all Welcome Aboard!
2nd of all..Whats with that font? I could read it across the room..lol:)

sorry to hear you have an omc..lol

Did you read the "adults only" section yet? highly recommend it.
Also, if you use the "search forums" tool, you will see lots of OMC info.
ChiefAlen has one and knows his stuff..I betcha he will offer his advice as well as others here that have been where you are.

chiefalen

Captain

Welcome aboard ! So why are you playing with the cable?

What's going on with the boat? You mean the drive? You want to drop the drive?

You buy a manual maybe ? Would be very helpful.

Thanks kev.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The first thing you have to do is get an OEM Service manal for your engine and drive. Then, you will know how to do all the common things like removing the outdrive, changing bellows, replacing shift cables, tuning the engine, changing gear lube, and how not to remove that screw on the upper gear case on the port side.

eru

Cadet

Thank you!! Any help or suggestions is always appreciated. I am ordering the repair manual from seloc. I have a rusted/stiff shifter cable that goes to the outdrive.

Thanks for the welcome aboard!!!! Sorry for the large font, just wanted to make sure everyone could read it lol :D

chiefalen

Captain

May i suggest a factory oem manual.

Don S

Like I mentioned before, get the OEM manuals, the Seloc and Clymers are not OEM but aftermarket paper wasters. They cover a little bit of a lot of engines and drives, but not enough for any specific repairs. Also lots of wrong information in them.

a70eliminator

Captain

That video clip will do nothing for you, it's a different drive. the seloc manual I hear is not very good, you definately need the factory Cobra Service Manual. The first step is taking the drive off, then you can proceed to the cable, and don't even think about trying to free it up, it needs replaced and properly adjusted.... again we can help you but you need a manual before anyone could even begin to guide you. The Factory Service Manuals pop up on E'bay just about any day of the week and well worth the 40 or 50 bucks if you plan on keeping the Cobra.

chiefalen

Captain

And speaking of keeping it ??

Before you spend a dime, does the motor run good.

Look up some prices for parts for that motor. If you can find them. Compare the prices vs a 3.0.

Now don't get me wrong, i wouldn't take that motor if someone wanted to give it to me for free.

And a cobra omc, nope don't spend a dime.

Don S

eru, let me put some things together for you that really hasn't been brought to your attention in the proper order.
1. OMC. Went out of buisness over 10 years ago, nothing but aftermarket parts for the popular engines and drives.
2. The 2.3L Ford engine was used ONLY by OMC and only for 4 years (87 thru 90), No other marinizer of engines used it. Ford and OMC worked together. Merc only used Small Block V8 Fords in the early and mid 70's , then stopped. Volvo also used the SB Fords for 2 years. Then in the mid 90's when Volvo and OMC went into a joint venture, the Ford SB engines were used again, but that ended after just a few years.
3. The outdrives for that little 2.3L engines was a 2.00:1 gear ratio in the Cobra drives, the 2.5 and 3.0L GM engins use a 1.71:1 gear ratio.
The lower unit housings were also different for the 2.3 from anything else.
4. Aftermarket parts like manifolds and couplers may also go by the wayside like happened with the 460 Ford, no one makes them.
5. For drive repairs, you need special tool for setting up a drive when rebuilding. If you don't have them, you can't do the job. Techs no longer are being trained for the Cobra and/or stringer drives, because OMC doesn't exist.
6. To find OEM manuals you basically have to buy them online from ebay because OMC doesn't exist or make manuals anymore.

While shift cables and maintenance parts like bellows, gimbal bearings, ujoints , tuneup items and things like that are still plentiful, don't expect it to last forever

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Here is a factory manual....worth every penny if you plan on keeping this boat.It will walk you through the removal of the drive,installation of the shift cable and the CRITICAL cable adjustments..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989...1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Here is another, Email the seller with the serial number off the drive and he will fix you up.His name is Don,great guy.Tell him Gary said hi....:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988...70141332819QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

eru

Cadet

ok thank you for your help
so far the engine is ok i replace the starter the water pump from a 1988-89 2.3l ford ranger
and the same exactly carburetor came in 1977 ranger
the boat was out of the water for more or less than 4 years:eek:

i can rebuild it no problem there
im a tech mechanic cars and trucks, but i never own a boat before:(
so i never open a outdrive before
the boat is not much but is my first boat and i feel i should keep going till i peel the back of a shark with the propeller:D
i ready remove the impeller cover to see if it was good and it looks ok
the only thing was the shifter rod was super hard to shift with the screwdriver:confused:
but i got it soft with oil,gas,wd40, i move it up and down till i get it soft enough to engage the dogs r/n/f, like when you shift a transmission in a car

my son loves to help me hes 8 years old and hes looking forward to ride the boat this summer, and i cant burst hes bubble, i just have to keep going,
even if is a crappy boat,
ill make it with the help of you guys..........thanks alot
heres some pictures for now just click on boat album
http://www.need-a-mechanic.com/apps/photos/

chiefalen

Captain

Ok go back and put a marine starter on it first thing, you want to make the kid a orphan.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING but marine for a starter, and alternator or carb.

You do not want sparks flying in a enclosed bilge with gas fumes all over.

And you need a marine Carb, cause of the overflow issue.

In a car overflow can go on the pavement cause its open on the bottom, in a boat the overflow will go in the bilge and blow up, believe me use marine, where the carb that came with the boat i can talk you thru rebuilding it.

The water pump had to be marine also, cause the impeller needs to be brass.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Looks like someone may have already removed that dreaded screw on the port side of the drive,the area in the pic that has all the paint missing.At least the drive is off so fixing that won't be so bad.
That black plastic square above the shifter bell crank is where the shift cable connects.
Even though you got it moving by no means use the old cable.
Get a new lower cable!
The manual has very specific measurements that MUST be followed on both ends of the cable or your gears will be toast!
Please take our advice on this!
You can find the cable for around 100 bucks....

Bondo

Staff member

so far the engine is ok i replace the starter the water pump from a 1988-89 2.3l ford ranger
and the same exactly carburetor came in 1977 ranger

Ayuh,....

You're building in More Problems for yourself....

Non-Marine rated Starters,+ Carbs are a Serious Explosion issues,...
You're risking life,+ limb of both yourself,+that of your Family...
And,...
An Automotive Waterpump won't last a Season in Saltwater....

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Eru...
Auto parts will transform your boat to something like this pic.

As Bond-o stated, you are risking not only your life and limb, but that of any innocent boater that may be unlucky enough to be close to your floating weapon of mass destruction when it goes off...

Attachments

• boatfire.jpg
    boatfire.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 0

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If people would just buy a OEM manual.................:rolleyes:

eru

Cadet

ok...uhm:rolleyes: so far today i took a part the original boat starter and the car starter, guess what?:D
there are the same, the same rotor,copper resin,the same material a exact replica of the marine starter even the brushes (carbons) are the same..(thje only difference is 120.00 dlls more for the marine) :rolleyes:
about the carburetor im goint to leave the original in the boat, just a kit from autozone(exact replica and material from marine to auto:)
the water pump (is frozen still) is not yet remove from the boat, so i definite will replace from marine pump because of the brass.
i think if i just put a car water pump just for testing the boat(i dont want to expend alot of many if the boat is goin to pop the hell out off the gears:eek:
and i will end up in the same place i start even worst:(
if the boat works fine ill replace everything original not much but the things he need.

ok lets see... about the carburetor if its a problem with the overflow (im not doing it it just a guess)why not pipe the overflow back to the tank or even easier, pipe(hose it)to the mouth of the carburetor as the marine carb works,
in case of a overflow the extra gasoline will drain inside the intake or carb,

Last edited: