timing on "74" 35 hp chrysler

TPD

Cadet
Hi guy

just wondering how you set the timing on the old chryslers.

I THINK the timing is suppose to be 35 degre advanced

Do you set it in the idle position, or in the flat out position (as the mechanical advance change's)

I'm post this for me dad, any info would be great.

Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: timing on "74" 35 hp chrysler

Unfortunately, only sketchy information is available in either Clymers or Interstate manuals. However, 35 degrees is too far advanced. That engine would most likely use either 32 or 28 degrees advance.

Since there are no timing marks, you need to physically determine top dead center of the top cylinder and mark the flywheel and a reference point on the block as 0 degrees. Then, divide 360 degrees by the number of teeth on the flywheel ring gear. Now you will know the number of degrees each tooth represents. Mark the flywheel ahead of 0 degrees in the direction of rotation for 32 degrees.

Set the timing at wide open throttle. If it is magneto ignition, use a 12 volt test light connected to the top cylinder points wire to set it.

There is a special tool used to determine TDC and to set the timing. If you want to inquire about it contact franzmarine@aol.com. He may still have them for sale.

TPD

Cadet

Thanks

We'll give it a shot.

You Would no the point gap for it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Ask and you shall receive! Point gap is .020. Be fussy in setting both sets. A difference of only .0015 between points will result in a difference of one degree between cylinders.