plating on Exhaust manifolds and risers ?

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice
Is there any type of plating that can extend the life of risers and exhaust manifolds?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: plating on Exhaust manifolds and risers ?

Nope,....

woosterken

Lieutenant

not to argue with bond-do HE KNOWS!!
but could the be painted with engine paint or powder coated?
hot rodders paint them for car shows

woosterken

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well, there actually is a "plating" for cast iron manifolds. I am not sure it would work to reduce corrosion in a marine manifold though.

I bought a new set of manifolds for my Ford Y-block and had them ceramic coated (inside and out) at Performance Coatings in Auburn, Wa. They came out absolutely beautiful.

I did not ask them about coating marine manifolds. I suppose they could but the manifolds would have to be new and clean, bare metal. I don't know if they would guarantee anything or even recommend doing a marine manifold but you could ask them.

Cheers,

Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's not the outside of the manifolds you have to worry about, it's inside the water passages that has the problem. There is no way to get in there and clean them enougt for paint to stick, let alone some kind of plating that probably corrodes faster than the manifolds.

a70eliminator

Captain

I had a set of cast iron 428 cobra jet manifolds done by these people, ceramic coated inside and out it's amazing how they still look like new.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

I mignt add it will cost you the price a new set of manifolds though.
The pieces I had done are of a rare vintage and havent been available for decades.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In fresh water you don't have to worry about it anyway, they will outlast the boat. It's the salt water engines that have all the problems.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I had a set of cast iron 428 cobra jet manifolds done by these people, ceramic coated inside and out it's amazing how they still look like new.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

I mignt add it will cost you the price a new set of manifolds though.
The pieces I had done are of a rare vintage and havent been available for decades.

Yeah,

it was not cheep! It is a ceramic coating. They also say it must be done on new manifolds so you have bare clean (not rusty ) metal inside for the ceramic coating to stick to.

They do it in some sort of oven and it does coat the inside. I wouldn't waste money doing on a marine engine though. You're FAR better off spending your money on a closed cooled engine if you want it to last for a long time in salt. Then you only need to worry about the elbows. And if you use "dry-joint" manifolds/elbows there's even less worry...

//

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

"Ceramic- and EDP-coated exhaust elbows for outstanding corrosion resistance."

This quote comes right from the mercruiser engine and drive sales handbook so maybe they found somthing.

A friend that works for a dealer said the motors back to 2000 or so had ceramic coated manifolds. I got a set of new mercruiser manifolds for my 1999 5.0 and they had some chipped paint from shippment. There was a shiny ceramic coating under the paint and on the inside of the water passages.

Surfdancer

Seaman

I beg to differ...

Properly prepared (thoroughly blasted) manifolds and elbows can be electroless nickel plated. Make sure the end caps and all plugs and hose nipples are removed first.

I had mine done after an acid etch, then a good bead blasting. This was on my old John Allmand, which was used exclusively in the salt.

I paid $150 about 10 years ago, and sold the boat after 5 years of trouble free service with those plated log style manifolds and elbows.