Two bimini tops together

a70eliminator

Captain
Anyone had any issues with what I'm about to try?
Here's a pic. of my existing factory top
I'm looking at putting another 3 bow top for the rear section above and maybe slightly overlaping the rear edge of the front one.
The front top comes off, folds up and stores nicely below the flip up section of the sun deck, and the rear would have to be on a sliding mount to be layed back across the sun deck or just propped up in it's folded position. I'm just looking to you guys for ideas, it's winter now and I just get thinking about stuff you know.

Attachments

• bimini 003.jpg
    bimini 003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bimini 004.jpg
    bimini 004.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

nlain

Commander
Re: Two bimini tops together

That looks like a convertible top on the boat now which means you cannot stand up under it, if you are going to make the bimini higher why not get the convertible raised also then you can stand up and easily move around in the boat. They do connect biminis together when making a full enclosure for boats and I would think you could do the same here. What I am suggesting would be more money and probably change the storage for the front top. Just something else to think about. My reason for this thinking is my first boat had the convertible top with full enclosure, I used it a lot in the winter time for winter running but you could not stand up under the top, current boat has the tall bimini that allows you to stand up with room to spare, I like it much better, had to have full enclosure custom made since it was not available from factory. Click the link in my sig if you would like to see what mine looks like.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

thats pretty much the way the older sea rays are set up
the back of the front one then zips to the front of the back one

2449798550103006965S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

QC

Supreme Mariner

Does that top stay connected directly to the windshield frame? If so do you run the boat with that top connected like that? So you are forced to look through the windshield and never over it?

Depending on those answers I would suggest that the existing top is technically not a bimini. And I would just get a standalone bimini that mounts where it should. I would not want to hassle with two tops. If you need the other for bad weather I would carry it when I thought I might need it. Swap them out etc. A good friend of mine had a very similar setup, but had both. Once he used the proper Bimini, the other top never left the garage again. But this would depend on weather.

Edit: All posting at the same time. I agree with the others if you want to retain the convertible top. Thanks nlain, I could not remember "convertible" . . .

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks for the input.
It does snap to the windshield
I can stand up under it towards the rear
the front has a zip down flap (bow rider access) I can stand up there too
When underway I do have to look through windshield
The one on that Sea Ray would be ultimate great illustration to show a pro if I were to go that route, I know it's lost of dough.

a70eliminator

Captain

Gosh looking at the Sea Ray again I'm hyped! It looks fairly easy and my front one actually has the zipper ready to accept it. Seems like a canvass shop could that together with ease, maybe not coat as much afterall. Thanks for the pic. JAX.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a custom Bimini made for my boat after adding a wake board tower ad it uses two separate Biminis that zipper together. I came up with idea and mocked up the shape out of electrical conduit and took it to local shop. Works great and any local canvas shop should be able to do it.