"My Documents"????

WizeOne

Commander
What gives? I cannot copy and paste this folder to a different drive. I always try to back up folders that have data that I would not want to lose. By default, XP saves many items to My documents.

I have a partitioned hard drive and a thumb drive that I backup these folder too. However when I copy 'My Documents', with intention of pasteing it to one of these other drives, 'paste' is never given as an option. This would mean that I would have to copy each folder, within My Documents, and paste them individually. A real PITA.

i386

Captain
Re: "My Documents"????

Go into My Documents, select everything (CTRL-A) then copy. My Documents on the desktop is a special folder.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

my documents is a special folder with system implications.

go to my computer
open the external drive in a window

Open my documents folder

Hit ctrl a
right click on anything and drag the contents over to the external drive

it should now copy/move everything over

tomatolord

WizeOne

Commander

Hmmmm? Here are the results. As 'my documents' would not copy and paste to a new drive, I thought I would be smart. I made a 'new folder' in the drive of choice and named it 'my docuEments'.

I then did the Ctrl/A on the contents of 'my documents' and dragged and dropped them to the new folder on the new drive. Now in 'My Documents' I had created some new folders where I would periodically move files, of specific type, to make it easier to find things. These sub-folders did not drop into the new 'my docuEments' folder.

I then made another 'new folder' and just called it 'My Docs'. I once again Ctrl/A'd the contents of 'My documents' and dragged them to 'My Docs'. This time, all files and folders dropped into the 'My Docs' folder.

XP was just not going to have anything to do with a new folder that had any near resemblance to the original 'My Documents' folder.

Well, I got it accomplished. Thanks to all.