86 Jason boat

383cross

Cadet
I bought an 86 Jason 1570 FS, my question is the live well in the front, there is a factory hole on the side of the boat that looks like a bilge exit, when I blow air into it you can feel it goes to the live well. My question is shouldnt this be plugged before going into the water? Seems like water would fill up live well and then come into boat, is there a plug that goes in the hole in the outside of the boat or something, this is my 1st fish type of boat and I would hate to sink it the 1st time out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 86 Jason boat

it probably is an overflow for the live well, very common. does the boat have a live well pump? there should be and inlet, a drain, and an overflow. overflow and drain could use same thru hull fitting.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I think you are fine. valid question though.

I am with TD, it is a drain for the livewell and if it was oging to sink the boat it would have done it for the previous owner, on mine the drain and overflow ar T'ed so i only have the one drain.

Don't be afraid to poke your head under the deck to see how things are hooked up.

Water can only come in as high as the water line outside the hull so if the drain is at or above the water line that is as far as the water can come up and I would imagine the live well is well above the waterline.

I know where you are at, I went from a 12' jon with a 9.9 I carrried on top of a car to a 16' trailer boat with a 50 and 2 livewells, bilge pumps, livewell pump, it is alot to learn.

Take your time and ask alot of questions here but no I don't think your boat will sink.

chiefalen

Captain

Could it have a recirculating pump on it. To keep the bait alive.

383cross

Cadet

I dont know if it has a pump or not, if it does then I sure dont know where the pump or the switch is, I really have no plans to use the boat for any fishing and I see no reason to have to have water coming in, any reason or way to plug it so I dont have to worry about it?