rusted bolts...?

outdated

Cadet
(1959 10HP EVINRUDE ..10018-04390)
When replacing any bolts and nuts , should you use stainless steel with some antisieze on the threads?
I only ask becuase I use antisieze at work on bolts that may have futhure corrtion issues.Im just not sure if that will interfear with torque values on head bolts on a outboard .
I hear a lot about bolts breaking off when removed.I have been vary lucky not to have any break when I removed the head and side cover and would like to keep it that way incase I need to service anything again.

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: rusted bolts...?

(1959 10HP EVINRUDE ..10018-04390)
When replacing any bolts and nuts , should you use stainless steel with some antisieze on the threads?
I only ask becuase I use antisieze at work on bolts that may have futhure corrtion issues.Im just not sure if that will interfear with torque values on head bolts on a outboard .
I hear a lot about bolts breaking off when removed.I have been vary lucky not to have any break when I removed the head and side cover and would like to keep it that way incase I need to service anything again.

I would be careful with replacing the head bolts with SS. Head bolts have a specific tensil strength and SS bolts probably would not be the same.
According to my shop manual, all most every bolt in the motor gets a coating of soft seal before installation Except the head bolts, they go in dry.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Stainless fasteners will actually corrode and sieze worse than steel ones because they are more dis-similar than the aluminum, causing galvanic action. And if you do break a stainless one, they are much harder to remove.

Personally, I am not a fan of anti-sieze for this use, though many will disagree. Just use gasket cement on the threads.

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

F.R.
Do you use soft seal(gasket Sealer) on head Bolts?

elhombre

Seaman

F.R.
Do you use soft seal(gasket Sealer) on head Bolts?

A soft (non hardening) gasket sealer, and if there was corrosion involved I like to run a tap into the threads to clean em up prior to torquing. My 2 cents-

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

For true galvanic action you need water....or at least dampness. Most head bolts and upper engine locations are isolated enough from this that it is not such a problem.
Lower units, especially in salt water are more affected.
As FR says, stainless is further from aluminum on the galvanic activity series than plain steel and so is more prone to corrode.

Any sealer on the bolts would help reduce the threat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Outdated, My 1959 Johnson 50HP motor was all stainless steel bolts, with most non-block components being brass or aluminum. A bit of Permetex #2 non-hardening sealer was used on the bolts, and I never had one break. I would have thought your motor would be made of the same materials.

I would recommend the Permetex #2 or the aviation gasket sealer (non-hardening).

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

OK,
I use the Soft seal stuff on all my bolts, except the head bolts, because it changes the torque results by lubricating the threads. Does this matter?
Should I be using it on the head bolts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are supposed to be using OMC Gasket Sealant or Perfect Seal #4 or an acceptable substitute on all the screws. The specified torque values consider that.

That is one reason why I don't use anti-sieze for most applications. The gasket sealant provides some anti-loosening sticky properties, while anti-sieze isn't supposed to stick.