OK.. You said I could do it!

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
1995 150 Johnson 60 degree looper. Just removed the power head from the exhaust housing. I've removed the electronics, carbs, intakesw and reed assemblies. Now I'm down to the flywheel.

It is attached with 5 bolts. I've removed them and there is light corrosion on the crankshaft. I thought because the flywheel is attached with the 5 bolts it would be loose on the shaft. Not so...

There don't seem to be any threads in it to install a puller. How do I get it off? I know prying is a no no. I have a factory manual for my year but it glosses over pulling the flywheel.

Thank you all.

Many more stupid questions to follow I'm sure.

Richard

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: OK.. You said I could do it!

Tad bit more info. My manual does have info for pulling the wheel. It says I need OMC part# 434649 Flywheel Service kit and should only use this kit to remove the wheel. Is it really necessary?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go to an auto parts store and get a harmonic balancer puller and some grade 8 bolts in the corrent thread for the holes. Could be different for the looper, but that's what I always hear and it always works, some just take longer to free up than others.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I've read about the harmonic balancer puller but it seems everythig is just a bit differint on the loopers.

Just want to make sure I dont learn an expensive lesson :)

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

most parts houses have loaner programs
leave a deposit and use the tool then return for a full credit

James R

Commander

Simple operation. It takes a ballancer puller and two bolts. I use my compressor my impact wrench and the correct socket on the puller. The flywheel will pop off.
A manual will direct you. If you dont have a manual you should get one.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Yup... 5 bolts. Told ya the loopers were a bit different

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Richard, My OMC Service manual for my '98 150V5 looper says that two of the flywheel holes(180* apart) are tapped for a 3/8"-24 thread bolt. You will need a two bolt puller. A harmonic balancer puller might work, if the bolt holes are 180* apaart.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Richard, My OMC Service manual for my '98 150V5 looper says that two of the flywheel holes(180* apart) are tapped for a 3/8"-24 thread bolt. You will need a two bolt puller. A harmonic balancer puller might work, if the bolt holes are 180* apaart.

That makes sense.
I looked at the parts diagram and the end of the crankshaft does not appear to have the ubiquitous tapered end ~ it appears to have just a straight shaft end.
There should not be a huge amount of force required to pull the flywheel off that.