Martin 40 impeller

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Quick question - I got the parts from Russ, including a new impeller. My dad can't find the CD he bought a while back with the service manuals. Does anyone know where I need to disassemble to replace the impeller? I looked at things and looks like it could go down at the bottem behind the prop or way at the top under the power head.

I am hoping it is behind the prop as that looks easier to get to.

Thanks,

asdasc

Re: Martin 40 impeller

Thanks for the reply. I ended up taking an educated guess, and it was behind the prop as you say. Very easy to replace. Pull the prop, then 2 big flat head screws and the impeller is right there. MUCH easier than anything I have ever worked on.

I will post a picture or two shortly for those who may need to know for the future.

Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You installed it right side up, didn't you?

asdasc

OK, here is the picture I promised. When you say 'right side up', are you kidding because it is so obvious, or is there something I need to be watching out for? Top and bottom are pretty clear, but I was thinking front and back were the same. No?

Attachments

• Martin 40 Water pump.jpg
    Martin 40 Water pump.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I think FR was just pullin' your leg...no pun intended.

tin knocker

Seaman Apprentice

Franks not spoofing. " CAUTION: Pump rotor should be installed in pump housing so that the tapered sides match housing. Side with small hole should be visible when placed in housing."

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, tin knocker. You're right, that's what I meant. The parts have a slight taper to make them easier to get out of the mold when they cast them. You can just place the impeller in the housing and wobble it around with your finger. It will "fit" better one way than the other.

asdasc

Wow! That is very good to know. I will check it out and report back how I did.

KSchneider13

Recruit

I am looking to replace the impeller on my martin also and saw this same thing as in the picture above but am curious of how that is the impeller. How is it supposed to move and rotate to push water into the engine to cool it down?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are re-opening a two year old thread, supposed to start a new one. I'll explain the pump when you do, but the short answer is the rotor displaces water as it wobbles in the housing.