Deal or Pass?

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got back from the coast from a few nights, i check CL to see if anything is up, and i find this

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/991210677.html

I'm looking for just the boat/trailer, i can get a premo runnin 50 1970 merc from another guy for 500 and it would be rolling !

The guy is gonna call me in an hr to see if i want it, he has only owned it 2 months, and already got something bigger... the original owner he baught it from kept it indoors, hes gonna call me in an hr, to go over the transom again (cause its been in storage since he has baught it) to make sure if solid, if it is, i think ima take it off his hands... What do you guys think ?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deal or Pass?

hell yeah. i dont think theres anything wrong with it. i picked up a boat similar to that a few months ago. but that one is in much better condition (although i only payed 325 for mine)

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

what do you have to lose? so your out 300 some bucks. so what. i think its worth the chance. the bottom looks great.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the seats have recovered my an amature.......that leambelt was not garage kept........take a close look at the transom and stringers before you buy......but even at that price.....you could sell the trlr after a quick paint job

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you plan on using that on the Columbia think twice or buy a kidney belt tri-hull boats give a notoriously rough ride even in light chop.

mphy98

Lieutenant

looks like a great deal to me, with the motor or without.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you plan on using that on the Columbia think twice or buy a kidney belt tri-hull boats give a notoriously rough ride even in light chop.

I might keep my 14ft Vhull glasspar for larger rivers, something like this would be used for "entertaining" my brothers on lakes and calm rivers (not that we mind a good kidney thrashing !)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The trailer looks pretty rough to me, but for $325 I would say the boat is worth it. Even if it needs a transom rebuild, a new floor and new stringers, as long as you can do the work, its good buy.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

If i was buying id leave the motor because i see deals on newer motors around here alot.. seems like a deal but id check the deck,stringers and transom because i wouldn't take a free boat that needed all 3.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

dont you have to tear up the floor to look at the stringers? i wouldnt let someone do that if they didnt buy it.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

my 75 tri hull is 850 lbs dry. and has an 80 hp. thats max for the boat.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

So i talked to guy at 3, he said he would call me back, he didn't so i called him... left a message, he called me back at 8

I had him "Thump around all of the floors and transom to check to see if they are solid"

I did this prior to make sure it will be worth my time, to go check it out in the morning...

HE told me they are solid as hell, there is a small fiber crack in the back left corner, but its not large, and transom is "firm as ape tits" and not those soft ape tits either he added...

Anyway, also while checking it out, he told me that he found 8 Dime size nicks in the bottom of the fiber... he said one of the rollers had fallen off last time it was out, and when they put it back on without it, it nicked up the bottom about 8 times, he said each on is Dime Size or smaller, and seems to be just the gel coat... because of this, he told me he will take 100 off the price !!! (i'll still try and get it for 200 cash, money talks when i'm there)

I got a meeting with him in the morning, i'll take pictures and let you all know how it goes down...

Anyone know the dry weight of a 16ft I think he said 73-74 ? I wanna scale it !

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it were me, I would try to keep the 115 engine thats on there. (Maybe have a mechnic check it.)

That old of a tri-hull is heavy, heavier than you might think. The 115 would be a good match for it.

The motor he did compression on today, it checked out, but hes asking too much imo... I found some local late 80 mercu's 75hp for 700 with power trim !!! Motors down here are going out the door for dimes, so i think i'll match it up with a 65-85hp, just looking to pull a tube or two, might even put my 50merc on it until i find something more suiting.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mark Twain is a well built boat, put the max hp on it. if i remember correct you and your family are pretty big kids.

woosterken

Lieutenant

WOW, pick up the glastron just for parts it says the motor will run (free motor) strip it down to parts, the trailer is worth the price