DVD Computer Drivers

cbavier

Lieutenant
Does anybody know if the DVD and CD drivers are on the Windows Installation disk or on the Drivers and Utilities disk for a Dell computer.
Thanks for anybody's help.

i386

Captain
Re: DVD Computer Drivers

Does anybody know if the DVD and CD drivers are on the Windows Installation disk or on the Drivers and Utilities disk for a Dell computer.
Thanks for anybody's help.

We haven't really needed in install drivers for optical drives since the days of MSDOS. As long as the jumpers and BIOS are set correctly it should just work.

If you're referring to the software used to create CDs and DVDs it will not be on the Windows disk. IIRC, Dell supplies a seperate disk with this software on it. Good luck finding it, as Dell will probably not provide a download link on their site because it's commercial software. The disk will be labeled, Roxio, Nero, NTI or something like that. Hope that helps.

Drrockter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Generic drivers are usually on the Windows install disk. Usually Dell has an all in one disk that installs everything OS and drivers, did you buy a new drive or just have to reinstall the old one?

i386

Captain

Dell's come with a "restore" CD but they require a full re-install of everything. You are better off finding who made the drive and going to their site for drivers and software.

Dell provides an operating system CD and a seperate Drivers CD. From the Driver's CD you can pick and choose the drivers you want to install at any time. Drivers for hard drives, optical drives, usb drives and floppy drives are not supplied on that CD because they are not required.

Most (if not all) optical drive manufacturers supply a "bundled" version of commercial disk writing software. You generally can't download these programs from the manufacturer because of licensing restrictions. You may possibly be able to get them to mail the CD to you for a small fee. Dell may also be willing to send the CD if it's for one of their systems.

You also have the option of sucking it up and buying your own CD/DVD writing application from Roxio, Nero, NTI, etc...

There are also some free software options available. Don't get suckered into getting spyware should you decide to try one of these.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Generic drivers are usually on the Windows install disk. Usually Dell has an all in one disk that installs everything OS and drivers, did you buy a new drive or just have to reinstall the old one?

I was referring to the installation disk. My Dell Dimention 9100 computer crashed and I got everything back up and running but the DVD and CD Rom's will not operate. I went through Systems, Device drivers and the computer recognizes them as being installed but there is no software installed. As stated above Dell does not offer a dowload fix and i don't want to re-install windows as I would have to reload all my personal data and programs again. So everything works fine except the DVD and CD Roms. I have a CD marked Drivers and Utilities but I didn't think that was the CD with the DVD drivers on it. It will only run by booting up to it. Of course the DVD won't run anyway. That is the problem. Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll just have to take it to a Computer shop and let them install the drivers off my Windows XP installation CD so I don't lose everything.I know there is a way to install only the missing software. I just don't know how to do it. I do have most of my stuff backed up on 250 MGB Zip Disks just in case. About 20 of them and I do have all my program Installation CD's. Thanks again.

i386

Captain

I was referring to the installation disk. My Dell Dimention 9100 computer crashed and I got everything back up and running but the DVD and CD Rom's will not operate. I went through Systems, Device drivers and the computer recognizes them as being installed but there is no software installed. As stated above Dell does not offer a dowload fix and i don't want to re-install windows as I would have to reload all my personal data and programs again. So everything works fine except the DVD and CD Roms. I have a CD marked Drivers and Utilities but I didn't think that was the CD with the DVD drivers on it. It will only run by booting up to it. Of course the DVD won't run anyway. That is the problem. Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll just have to take it to a Computer shop and let them install the drivers off my Windows XP installation CD so I don't lose everything.I know there is a way to install only the missing software. I just don't know how to do it. I do have most of my stuff backed up on 250 MGB Zip Disks just in case. About 20 of them and I do have all my program Installation CD's. Thanks again.

Are you saying the drives won't read a disc at all while in Windows?

Have you checked the device manager to see if the drive is missing or if it has a yellow exclamation point? You really shouldn't have to install any software to be able to read a disk. You should only need that to burn discs or watch a DVD movie (which I forgot to mention).

cbavier

Lieutenant

Are you saying the drives won't read a disc at all while in Windows?

Have you checked the device manager to see if the drive is missing or if it has a yellow exclamation point? You really shouldn't have to install any software to be able to read a disk. You should only need that to burn discs or watch a DVD movie (which I forgot to mention).

Yes the drives won't work. They both have the yellow marks, Scan says no software I tried everything. Update drivers, search the web for drivers. There are about four options and nothing works in Device Manager. I had a program I wanted to install (Paperport) and the drives wouldn't work. That's how I discovered the software drivers were missing. The computers finds new hardware when I restart or boot up in the morning.

i386

Captain

Yes the drives won't work. They both have the yellow marks, Scan says no software I tried everything. Update drivers, search the web for drivers. There are about four options and nothing works in Device Manager. I had a program I wanted to install (Paperport) and the drives wouldn't work. That's how I discovered the software drivers were missing. The computers finds new hardware when I restart or boot up in the morning.

Have you tried deleting the drives with the yellow exclamation points then rebooting?

You don't happen to have any other devices with the yellow exclamation points do you? Perhaps the drive controllers?

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Have you tried deleting the drives with the yellow exclamation points then rebooting?

Uninstall the devices in the device manager (system settings->control panel->system, hardware tab, device manager button.. select the drive, leftclick on properties - use the uninstall option).

If you already know how to do that, then please pardon the assumption.

After that, you could run ccleaner and select the 'registry' option and check for issues. Please make a backup of your registry before fixing the issues.

Reboot. You should see some notifications about 'new hardware detected'.

If that dosn't work, then there could be some settings in your BIOS that aren't right. Usually you can get into a settings utility during bootup of your computer - you will need to press a certain key (F3, but it could be something else - whatever dell felt it should be for your model). There should be a section for your drives. I can't tell you what you will see there :), there may be some sort of autodetect, it should 'know' what CD/DVD you are using. While you are there, if it displays it, write down the model/make of the drives if you don't have them already.

One other thing is to go to the manufacturer of the drive and see if they have any drivers for it.

-V

woosterken

Lieutenant

cbavier,
hello I had the same problem,I found help on google printed it out I will see if I can scan it and send it to you if you give me an email addy.

woosterken

cbavier

Lieutenant

cbavier,
hello I had the same problem,I found help on google printed it out I will see if I can scan it and send it to you if you give me an email addy.

woosterken

you can access my email through my personal profile. If you can't find it in my profile, woosterkin submit another post on this forum and I'll post my email address. Thanks and yes I deleted the drives and then rebooted from the installation CD and got lost. I guess after it went so far I didn't know what to do next. I was afraid to go any further so I exited the set up. I could also post my phone number and someone could maybe walk me through the bootup. I appreciate everyone's help. I'm not very computer savy when it gets into the internal workings.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have anything in device manager under "Other" be sure and remove whatever you find there as well before you try to reinstall anything by rebooting and letting the system detect your hardware.There should be no item named "other" and flagged yellow in Device Manager.Ron G

i386

Captain

you can access my email through my personal profile. If you can't find it in my profile, woosterkin submit another post on this forum and I'll post my email address. Thanks and yes I deleted the drives and then rebooted from the installation CD and got lost. I guess after it went so far I didn't know what to do next. I was afraid to go any further so I exited the set up.

I have never ever ever ever had to supply a driver CD for a CD or DVD drive except for MSDOS. Maybe others have.

Once you delete the offending drives from the device manager you can just reboot. You shouldn't have to enter any type of scary setup program. Upon reboot, Windows should automagically load it's native drivers and the devices should just work. If it doesn't something's wrong.

Maybe it can't find the native drivers. You could try pointing it to the c:\i386 folder where the windows setup files are.

I've also read about a registry fix for the problem.

It involves deleting UpperFilters and LowerFilters from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Is this an old/new system? Have you recently installed Windows?

cbavier

Lieutenant

If you have anything in device manager under "Other" be sure and remove whatever you find there as well before you try to reinstall anything by rebooting and letting the system detect your hardware.There should be no item named "other" and flagged yellow in Device Manager.Ron G

Only the two DVD drives are yellow.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Describe crash....and describe what you did to when you "got everything back up and running " (briefly)

As i386 mentioned, the upper and lower filters entry in your registry could be the problem. It usually happens when you install a cdrom burning program and it's drivers, that things get hosed and you loose your cdroms etc. Error codes 41 and 37 are the result.
The fix is to edit your registry in a couple of places. If manually editing the registry is a new thing, a word of caution, messing with the registry can render your computer unable to be booted etc. With that in mind, you can run a small file that will do the edits for you with the same -safe-result.
Here's a link to a zip file that has what is needed...
http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
The usage is to open the zip and run the cdgone.reg file

You'll be asked if you want to merge the file into your registry, say yes. Then reboot and see if your cdrom/dvd work.

The next option is to delete or uninstall the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller in device manager and reboot. Windows will redetect the controller and install the drivers for it.

Example: In your device manager find:
IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS
clicking the plus sign and this is the following list:

1- Intel(r) 82801aa Bus Masters IDE Controller (yours may be different)
2- Primary IDE Channel
3- Secondary IDE Channel

In this case, "Uninstall" the Intel(r) 82801aa Bus Masters IDE Controller.

Next, Shut Down(Reboot your computer)

Thats all way to technical for me. I just thought there might be a simple fix. I'll just take it to a Computer shop or wait for someone to come here that knows what they're doing. Thanks everyone.

Xcusme

Commander

Post edited:

I acquiesce to my tag line.....and await replies from someone who knows what they're talking about.