Onboard Tool box contents

Carryin' On

Cadet
Hello all,

I am looking to put together a modest toolbox for handling emergency repairs to my 18 ft Wellcraft fisherman w/150 Johnson in the event I am stranded offshore.

I already have a full membership to Sea Tow. Sometimes minor problems can be fixed without having to call it a day.

Besides a screwdriver and adjustable wrench, what else would you suggest.

Mark A
"Carryin' On"
Wilmington, NC

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Onboard Tool box contents

A spark plug or two, electrical tape, piece of wire, nylon zip ties, small piece of fuel line, small vice grip pliers and I used to carry the marine epoxy (the skick that is fast dry)..... I used to keep it all in a tupperware container.

others will chime in. ;)

scipper77

Commander

Fuses!!! A good friend of mine ended up getting towed over a 30 cent fuse.

I also carry a prop wrench which is pointless since i don't keep a spare prop in the boat unless I'm in the 1000 islands.

Carryin' On

Cadet

Great info...... especially the spark plugs and fuses.

Keep em comming guys

Thanks

Ned L

Commander

A wrench that you know you can pull the spark plugs with. I'd also carry a cheap set of box end whenches as an adjustable won't fit in a lot of places. Water pump impellor & "V" belt are good to have also as they can be replaced pretty easily but you won't get far without them.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Zip Tye's, first aide kit and a sponge

Bob_VT

Staff member

Fuses!!! A good friend of mine ended up getting towed over a 30 cent fuse.

I also carry a prop wrench which is pointless since i don't keep a spare prop in the boat unless I'm in the 1000 islands.

Yup when I fished the Thousand Islands we carried an extra prop.

This is going to cause some chatter but I used to carry foil to bridge a fuse in an emergency..... but I use a piece of wire if I had too. When I was a smoker cigarette pack foil was used quite a bit!;)

chiefalen

Captain

I used a penny once as a fuse.

But it's allowed to do whatever it takes to get back in.

But fix right what ya jury rigged.

I got a small ball preen hammer,flat and phillips head screwdrivers, different size ones, black tape a absolute must, i taped the hose when it split to get in, leaked a tad used the whole roll, carry 2 rolls.

Sandpaper for sure, piece of pipe 1/2 inch by 18 inch use that the most.

I hit fish and used it to change the belt on my i/o. Always using it.

At least 2 of each fuse i need in a plastick canister. And open end wrench's 1/2 for the alternator its a combo, and a few other combo wrench's , The largest adjustable channel lock pliers i had. Need those more than once, needle nose pliers also.

I used my fish needle nose pliers but the shorter ones are good for any wirecutting and trying to yank or place a cotter pin. Oh a knife. Got a vitronox, even has a small sissors.

Sure theres more.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just keep my tool kit on board. I'm running around in a 20 year old boat here.

The best key is to keep everything in good working order. If the motors acting up its simple don't go out!

mphy98

Lieutenant

first aid kit,prop wrench,spare prop, fuses, duct tape.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

. I used to keep it all in a tupperware container.;)

As important as tools are on a boat having a weatherproof toolbox will help keep them usable. I gotta keep a flask of whiskey on hand, just in case, you know for first aid n' stuff.

Bob_VT

Staff member

As important as tools are on a boat having a weatherproof toolbox will help keep them usable. I gotta keep a flask of whiskey on hand, just in case, you know for first aid n' stuff.

Whiskey?? :eek: It really should be Rum on a boat! :D

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

first aid kit,prop wrench,spare prop, fuses, duct tape.

YES DEFFINTILY A SPARE PROP! I wrecked one this summer and with out a spare i would have been screwed.

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A good long set of jumper cables. I've never had to use them on my boat but I jump at least 2 or 3 people every summer. Hopefully someone will be around if I need a jump someday.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I personally bring a jump starting pack with me..Its been helpful a couple times.

redfury

Commander

I picked up a decent sized waterproof tool box just for my boat. It has a couple of none waterproof compartments on top, but it closes like an ammo box and has a nice big gasket on it, and it's bright orange. I like that because I can tell anyone which one is the tool box, and not get a tackle box instead.

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Small volt meter, and/or voltage check light.

And a bucket....

Bob_VT

Staff member

Tashasdaddy and I were talking and mentioning how "substitute fuses" probably are not safe. Repairs with wire, foil or chunks of brass could lead to fires and burned up wires.

Years ago I had a stubborn Ford Bronco that would eat fuses and I installed a marine circuit breaker.

A marine circuit breaker could be a good item to add to the tool box. It is small and cost more than a fuse but far less than a tow!

Iboats even sells them ;) http://www.iboats.com/Cole_Hersee_D...232027936--**********.267639031--view_id.2181