Trolling motor?

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you guys give me some advice on buying an electric trolling motor for my boat? I've got a 14 fiberglass boat that weighs approximately 500 lbs. I want an electric motor so I can access some small lakes that don't allow gas engines. Are used motors a good way to go? Thanks in advance.

ooldschooll

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trolling motor?

minn kota 30 cheap light and smooth running. iboats price is $109and change but are out of stock right now. Not to mention you can find replacement props for cheap all over. Just remember big power takes big energy out of the batteries.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i say 45 lb thrust, bow mount, with the energy saver. when a squal comes up, you will be glad. you can mount a transom mount on the bow, simple conversion.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Cat's meow - Minn-Kota Terrova - 55lb thrust bow mount. These have digital motors, remote steering with a key fob remote and autopilot. 1,400.00 by the time you get it in your hands new.

I got 3 hours of steady trolling at 1.7mph with a moderate wind using a Optima Blue Top AGM battery. This was on a 14' Western with a full load of about 900lbs.

I played with the smaller ones and anything below 55 lbs can be a chore to deal with in other than perfect conditons.

I just happen to have one for sale on Craigs List along with a 65lb Power drive with autopilot if you're interested in second hand. Shipping is on you.

I'm putting the Minn-Kota trim and troll system on my 18'.