Rebuild 470 Motor

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice
im going pull out my 1989 Fiberform it have mercruiser 470 3.7 224cid...

I know Main bearing went bad.. hear sounds when my buddy say.. i rebuild alot Chevy v8s 350s to big block Chevy.. and i race my 68 Nova with 388ci stroker 800+ hp..

so i know Mercruiser have Ford Piston, Crank and rod.. so I wonder i can get Bearings Main and rod Bearing (cap) from Local Auto store and find part number for that? or i have order from marine dealers or Repair shop..

im plan to have overhaul with Mercuriser Gasket Engine overhaul kits, and new pistion Rings.. So i only need 2 more is Main and Rod bearing then i able to start rebuild 470 with my Buddy Gabe.. Myself is deaf. and i have Mercuriser Stern drive serice manual and online Mercruiser serivce manual Print out..

Thanks guys for help!

89' Fiberform Ski Close bow.. It have new seats, New carpet, repaint custom Blue pearl with white pearl, 2 angel n devil girls pics on rear stern, alot investment onboat.. I love it.. now im going Upgrade sound system and rebuild motor.. before spring season..
l_91769ced23d5b3d3ab683aad6b9772-1.jpg

l_3a3c7159e6e66b3584baba0047926a-1.jpg

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rebuild 470 Motor

any advices? Pro n cons? It will be my first time rebuild 470..

No lucks for parts from auto supplies? i guess ill have to go Marine shop to buy Bearings for main n rod

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i rebuild alot Chevy v8s 350s to big block Chevy.. and i race my 68 Nova with 388ci stroker 800+ hp..

Sounds like you would have no problem getting your hands on a nice Chevy 350 to put in that boat instead of rebuilding that less than desirable 470.
Chris

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Acutally u have no idea with my plans..
lol

I have 06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX it AWD 4 cy Turbo and running 400+WHP.. My stock Turbo i took out.. and i just thinkin about add Turbo and TIG the Tubes and pipes make Turbo 470 on it... Head of 470 alrendy modifity with high compression ratios.. so Bottom end im not sure yet.. im think riding low boost at first like 9 psi..

Bondo

Staff member

My stock Turbo i took out.. and i just thinkin about add Turbo and TIG the Tubes and pipes make Turbo 470 on it... Head of 470 alrendy modifity with high compression ratios.. so Bottom end im not sure yet.. im think riding low boost at first like 9 psi..

Ayuh,....

You've already raised the compression,+ Blew the bottom end,....
Now,...
You want to add Turbo- Boost to a Higher than normal compression motor,..??..??

I Don't see a Good outcome to your endeavor....

Those 470s are a Pain just to keep running as Merc built them,....
Hotrodding it Isn't going to Work....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those engines have an aluminum block, (open deck design) and a cast iron head. They had enough trouble keeping head gaskets in them when stock, let alone with a higher compression ratios and a turbos.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

mmm interest.. bummer i love turbo sound.. lol Well folks im Deaf, yeah

im thinkin about order JE piston, Eagle Rod for this motor.. but im think go leave stock rebuild for now.., and i have spare 470 it alrendy tear down and now need rebuild too.. so im think Spare 470 to full build it up and sent to machine shop..

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you still have to used a chain when you use an engine as an anchor?

Take thier advice these guys know what they are talking about. Search the forum, 470's are junk.

Put an SBC in it you will be very happy.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

im thinkin about 350 in future.. but not now.. Fiberform is my first boat.. and i have 32' Knife (custom build from hawaii) it was in Kaneohe, Oahu.. I use for deep sea fishing..

Im think doing some project V8 in boat someday.. im in no rush.. I have alot things to do with my Drag nova right now.. im going put alchol Blower in my new Big block and test..

Im going use fiberform for good times with friends like inner tubbing, Ski, Wakeboard and cruzin.. around lakes in washington or Puget sound..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I thought those pictures looked like WA state......

You might be money ahead to take the above advice and look for a 350 V8 to replace your 470.

If you must rebuild it though, here's a source of parts . They've even got a long block there.....(only $3500!!:eek:) There's many sources out there. This is just one of them.

Good luck!

Rick

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

i have 3 spare 350 prep for 388ci Stroker.. but i would like to keep 470 simple and plain simple for now.. and maybe plan 350 swap for next summer...

that pictures in Altas Lake in Eastern Washington.. We there for camping on memorial weekend... this year we going to Banks Lake for memorial weekend!

I live Tacoma City by Spanaway area.. so My dad is Retired ARMY Ranger as Officer at 0-5 Rank.. and i been living Washington state (tacoma) for 16 years or so.. im 24 and have been work for www.metroautorebuildsouth.com as Body tech and Detailer manager..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you're going to put a V-8 in the boat later then you'll not want to put a whole lot of money in that 470 I guess...

I guess I've never heard of Alta Lake. It looks like it's about half the size of American Lake!

You'll like Banks though. Pretty crowded in the summer during big holidays. Big Party lake!

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Im not worry about V8 parts.. Im sponsor for my Drag race, I get Dart, Comp Cam, holley, APR, MOROSO... so I would have worry to add Marine Carb, Marine exhaust and etc.. but I have 1/2 Parts alrendy they are free... overhaul Gasket Kits for 470, all pretty brand new.. it was rebuild 6 years ago.. my friend own boat then he sold to me.. He is mechanic.. and he found it was bearing rod.. and so he sold me hisboat for cheap.. less than grands. with boat and all stuff new.. and paint job etc.. so i only need rebuild motor and put sound system that all..

He and my Head mechanic from drag race and I will build 470 end of month or feb.. and see process..
I have Free: overhaul Gasket 470 rebuild kit, etc.. but i only need pay 100$ for Main and Rod bearing that all.. and i have alot tools.. so i think ill do fine build 470 for now.. I have to focus next racing season in spring. soon. i need get m motor done soon..

ALTA Lake was north and 30 min from Lake Chelan..
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Alta Lake

but small lake.. but not alot Boat or PWC... it awesome! and great fishing for trouts

Dadicus

Cadet

I know a lot of the guys on this forum don't like the 470s, but I've had one for two years now. It has over 600 hours on it and still has plenty of horse power. I don't know much about the rebuild, but if the parts are cheap and you have the shop, tools, and time I'd say go for it. When you pull the motor be sure to save and replace all the spacer washers on the motor mounts. And when you drop it back in make sure to get the alignment PERFECT. Good luck!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I'd look for a used, running fordcruiser locally. Comp test it and listen to it run and then use yours for spare parts. With the economy as it is, You could probably buy 2 or 3 complete donor boats for what it will cost to do a stock rebuild on that engine let alone all these unnecessary trick parts. You might find one locally that has already got the alternator fixed and updated cam seals etc.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah i have spare 470.. but it free. but owner say Piston sizure.. but i torn down and it dont.. it only rod bearing same thing.. and i sent Crank to machine shop for balanced and test make sure it good.. and it all good. i have to pull motor out boat and swap crank and put new bearings and new head gasket, Piston rings, Rod beating and oil pan gasket then all good.. u know ya..

I havent got cooler leak or problem past.. it perfect and always change oils and inspected.. it all good.. the 470 on boat is perfect conditon and just only rod bearing.. so that why i have spare good crank for in case if the old crank is grind out or bad.. and swap it.. simple process..

Chris

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

And when you drop it back in make sure to get the alignment PERFECT. Good luck!

I would replacement all Space washers..

but what u mean perfect alingment? for Stern or put in motor sitting?

Bondo

Staff member

but what u mean perfect alingment? for Stern or put in motor sitting?

Ayuh,....

The Motor has to be properly aligned with the gimbel bearing, or the drive won't go back on...