Any one ever play with the "build your own submarine" idea?

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering If I am alone here at Iboats, on a subject that would implicate building a boat that'll sink on purpose!:eek:

I have collected some materials and odds and ends thru the last 10 years for when I finally get to go ahead with the idea.

Finances?? what's that mean? Build it and it will come!

For all of that, target maximum depth is only going to be around 33 feet or 10 meters (to find all that gold that the metal detector can't reach :D), and because higher pressures become increasingly dangerous beyond that for my liking.
The maximum depth before triggering an emergency ballast dump can only be as deep as to allow for a safe evac with minimal equipment without risking the bends.
I don't want to get into scuba gear and/or decompressing scenarios.

Once this project has been completed and tested, interest may drop off to marginal use :rolleyes:
A 10 meter target is good to aim for, considering that deeper limits would also mean deeper digging in the money bag.
Anyway.. the finances to be available for this project are still being hatched out, slowly and carefully.

I'm done roving, sunk roots (one, just in case), and have to build a shop yet, but that's not far off anymore.
I still have few projects to finish to date, but " Do day" is approaching in the distance.

Any one out there have similar notions?
All inputs are welcome.
If you think I'm nuts, I can confirm that! :D
Throwing this around might even get you to think on it for yourself.

Just tell her you've come up with a new type of low pressure water tank design, that there will be lots of money in it and to start planning for living on the beach!
You're safe 'till launch day. :eek::D

PH.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any one ever play with the "build your own submarine" idea?

I spend enough money trying to keep mine above the water.:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had read about a guy that used propane tanks af different sizes and built one.

puddle jumper

Captain

Ive looked into it somewhat and i gess the real problem is getting it to sink. The floating part is the easy part.

I believe tha Mr. Hunley had that same idea back in the 1860s. I hope you are more successful.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i think anything can be built on the cheap......neat idea......your at 5 fathoms....so even then pressure is up a few atmospheres.....

i thing the toughest part would be to regulate the amount of ballast you bring on.......and if you only allowed so much ballast.....your chances of going to davy jones locker would be minimialized.

now....... for safety's sake you'd need to build it for 10 fathoms....what materials would you build it out of? if you made it out of steel.....you could just use a peice of steel pipeline that is allready pressure tested and cap the ends. then weld everything on to the exterior.

you would need some serious math to figgure out the weight and boyuancy factors.....not to mention the type of propulsion that wouldnt be heavy and breath o2

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey.....we aren't helping you build a drug runner are we? :eek::p:D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Oh, man. Just wait 'til SgtMaj sees this thread.:eek:

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

CANADA????? You live in Canada and want to build a freakin' sub?? Let's see, air temperature about 0c. Water temperature??? Not much higher. Hell, I can't see how that thing could float considering the size of the heater you have to bring aboard...:D:D
I guess ya'll have some pretty long winters and not a lot to do, but damn, I think about this time of the year I would be thinking of Florida beaches or the Bahamas and maybe ski boats or perfecting a new skim board design......
Keep us posted!!:p

oops!

Supreme Mariner

alaska and the yukon territories have gold.......but the sub has to be strong enough to break thru the polar ice caps when he needs air.....he will be ok if he wears his winter woollies and his new heated hoodie :D :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

CANADA????? You live in Canada and want to build a freakin' sub?? Let's see, air temperature about 0c. Water temperature??? Not much higher. Hell, I can't see how that thing could float considering the size of the heater you have to bring aboard...:D:D
I guess ya'll have some pretty long winters and not a lot to do, but damn, I think about this time of the year I would be thinking of Florida beaches or the Bahamas and maybe ski boats or perfecting a new skim board design......
Keep us posted!!

A heater is a good idea!

hey.....we aren't helping you build a drug runner are we? :eek:

When the water is that cold.... your more apt to be smuggling little cold grapes!

alaska and the yukon territories have gold.......but the sub has to be strong enough to break thru the polar ice caps when he needs air.....he will be ok if he wears his winter woollies and his new heated hoodie :D

See.... here is where we differ..... I can get through any piece of ice with the proper placement of a substantial explosive charge...... :eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

See.... here is where we differ..... I can get through any piece of ice with the proper placement of a substantial explosive charge...... :eek:

BAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA :D :D

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Just wondering If I am alone here at Iboats, on a subject that would implicate building a boat that'll sink on purpose!:eek:

. . . . . .

I don't want to get into scuba gear and/or decompressing scenarios.

I dunno, having a backup plan/emergency escape method (scuba) sounds like a good idea to me....

Any one out there have similar notions?
All inputs are welcome.
If you think I'm nuts, I can confirm that! :D
Throwing this around might even get you to think on it for yourself.

Yeah, I thought about doing something similar in my teens: I grew up near a lake, and it would have been pretty cool to throw a chicken wire / paper mache "giant shell" ontop of a home made submarine and appear at various points in the lake. (Not an original idea, yes, but could have been cool...)

Some of the docks used empty metal barrels - now and again they would come loose, so I figured I could get my hands on about 4-5 and use those..

I didn't plan on going more than 10-15 feet in the water, but even if you go 30 feet you are talking only 2 atmospheres of pressure - my plan was to be able to pressurize the inside of the 'tube' to match the outside - so that I didn't have to do any fancy structural engineering.

Sadly, reality set in: welding costs money. Air tanks cost money. If you want reliable, that costs money too: steering, propulsion, being able to surface/submerge are things that you really kinda want to be able to do reliably. And then, there's the whole leak thing...

-V

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I think it's quite possible. Find a welder on craigslist and learn

Bigprairie1

Commander

Interesting project idea. I would recommend that once you have an idea about a design, or find an existing one is that you contact your local University or College Engineering Faculty.
They will probably help you (for free) to do some buoyancy and stability checks on the design to ensure the thing will submerge, surface and handle reasonably relative to it's shape, power diving fins, etc. This is just the kind of project that these guys eat up and my experience is they love to participate in...again usually for nothing so long as you acknowledge them in some way.:)
From what I recall there was a lot of this stuff going on the 60's (not that I was there!!...I was a 70's teen!)
Good luck and keep us posted.
BP:cool:

jbjennings

Captain

I'm still waiting on Sarge's homemade airplane, too!:eek:

What's he been up to? I also think he'd be jumping on this!:confused:
JBJ

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i just checked in on sgtmaj.......he hasent been on for a week........someone run over to his house and kick him in the computer :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.......sgtmaj.....just made "commander"......

congrats sarge......2001 posts !

mphy98

Lieutenant

being a private pilot and certified deep water diver, i can say this with no trepidation. YOU DO NOT LEAVE A GOOD RUNNING AIRPLANE IN THE SKY, AND YOU NEVER EVER SINK A BOAT ON PURPOSE!!!!!!! That is unless you are making an artificial reef. :D