Calling Bigfish17

aspeck

Staff member
Has there been any results on your insurance case yet? What has happened since the 27th? Inquiring minds want to know! Please, no banter or company bashing ... but let us know how this is turning out, if possible ...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Calling Bigfish17

best to send a PM, rather than paging in open forum.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I spoke to BF some time ago via PM. I don't want to speak for him, but I think he was disappointed that his threads were closed twice. He told me that he will post something when the matter is resolved. In the mean time, patience is probably the best bet.

bigfish17

Seaman

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the concern...

After my 2 hour interrogation, they called my attorney and said they were going to settle my case. I was happy but now they want to stick me with a $3,000 storage fee. My lawyer is talking to them about that.

Funny thing is, they said they don't pay for excessive storage fees when all along they were the ones dragging this on. I obviously had no control over the entire process but now they want to charge me excessive storage fees. It's unbelievable...

When it's all resolved, I will post again on this thread. In the meantime I'm stuck making payments on the boat that I haven't used in over 3 months...

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Just as predicted.... Inflict enough pain to cause happiness when settled and try to settle for less. NOT BASHING, just the facts.......

bliss

Cadet

I had put this in my pending file to come up tomorrow. Good timing! "going to settle my case" --yes, but for how much. Details, please. This has been of interest to a lot of us. I must have details, pleeeeease!

bigfish17

Seaman

My lawyer informed me that he had a long talk with them and they refuse to pay the 3k storage fee. So...settle and take the hit even though it's ridiculously unfair of them or sue them for the 3k and let this drag on even further. All the while still paying for a boat I no longer have...

That's where I'm at this time...

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible to settle, them start a seprate suit, on a contigency basis with an attorney (no out of pocket costs) for acting in bad faith??

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

My lawyer informed me that he had a long talk with them and they refuse to pay the 3k storage fee. So...settle and take the hit even though it's ridiculously unfair of them or sue them for the 3k and let this drag on even further. All the while still paying for a boat I no longer have...

That's where I'm at this time...

Did they agree to the "agreed" value price (99k?) minus $3k??

bliss

Cadet

Yes, yes. Tell us. Ikbum is asking the same question I did. He is more articulate. Did they "adjust" the dollars down ????

bigfish17

Seaman

Is it possible to settle, them start a seprate suit, on a contigency basis with an attorney (no out of pocket costs) for acting in bad faith??

That won't work because I will have to sign a release. And it'll say that once I sign and accept the payoff I can't sue them after that...

I'm talking to the dealer to see if he can cut me a little break on the storage fees and be done with it. I'm really tired of all the bullsh*t already...

They haven't paid off the bank yet either so now they think they have some leverage in the situation. They figure that I will probably settle because it won't be worth the hassle for the 3k.

My lawyer could sue and I would probably win but in the meantime I have to keep making the payments and I don't know how much longer it could drag on. They are and have been acting in bad faith all along...

aspeck

Staff member

Man, they are hanging you out to dry, aren't they???? Good luck with the last 3 grand ... hope you can be happy with the end result.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I missed a bit on this story. I'm guessing that these storage fees mean that the boat was recovered? And the payoff means the boat is a total loss?

Truly a shame the way this insurance claim took so long.

bigfish17

Seaman

I will have a conclusion to this story hopefully by the end of the week...

aspeck

Staff member

It is the start of the following week ....

aspeck

Staff member

I will have a conclusion to this story hopefully by the end of the week...
Just thought I would bump this up again ... still waiting for the conclusion, bigfish17.

bigfish17

Seaman

OK guys... IT"S OVER !!!

Here are some details and some thoughts...

I had to cave in and pay for all the storage and towing fees just to end this. I am very disappointed at Progressive but's that's not a surprise at this point. But I'm mainly pissed at my HS dealer for charging me $3,800 after he knew I'd be the one paying the bill and not lowering that amount by even a penny.

Like I said before, Progressive tried to get anything they could off me no matter how ridiculous it seemed. They knew the boat was totaled back in late October when the guy gave them the estimate and yet they never told me it was totaled until late December. It makes me think they knew exactly what they were doing sticking me with the storage bill.

I could've fought it and I probably would've won but I just couldn't drag this any longer. They knew I was still committed to the boat payments and that I would give in...

And my dealer knew what they were doing to me and that I'd be the one getting stuck with the bill. And after 1/2 hour of pleading with the owner to give me a break on the bill he wouldn't. I chose his shop to do the repairs and it would've meant a good chunk of money for him even though it didn't turn out that way at the end. I tried to be a loyal customer but it seems he chose to make a couple of bucks instead of working something out with me. I will not be buying a boat from him in the future.

So...out of the 99k, 73k went to the Bank, 2k to my attorney and $3,800 to my dealer. I got $20,200 but it still bothers me that they got out of paying the storage and put it on me. I could've had the $3,800 which was righfully mine but it just wasn't worth it.

So we come to the end of this long and painful thread. I hope this served some purpose for the folks that took some part of this and the other ones that might've read it. I definitely am wiser than I was before.

Thank you to all the guys who posted and helped me thru this. A lot of you guys were great and very helpful and I really appreaciated that you took the time to help out.

Thanks again and someday when things get better I'll be back in this forum with a better story. The "bigfish" that I always dream I will catch...

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Bet you will sleep better tonight. It's a shame that Progressive treated you this way.