Stern Drive to Alpha 1

whatsagm

Seaman
How hard is it to convert my stern drive to an Alpha 1. I have a 1976 Stern drive that needs replaced. I can get an alpha one cheaper than a stern drive. I have a 140 Hp Is it possible?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Stern Drive to Alpha 1

Ayuh,...

The Alpha 1 Is a Stern Drive....

Your Question makes Absolutely No Sense.....

What/ Who's sterndrive do you have Now,..??

whatsagm

Seaman

My boat is a 1976 with a mercruiser 140 with a Pre Alpha Outdrive . My question is can i put a 1985 and newer out drive on it. My Out drive says stern drive on it now. I was just wondering what it would take to put a new alpha one on it. Sorry I'm new to this I/O. I have only had outboards before.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My question is can i put a 1985 and newer out drive on it.

Yes it will, but you need to find one with a 1.98 Gear ratio

Sorry I'm new to this I/O.

Go to the adults only sticky at the top of the forum and download a service manual for your engine and drive. Then you will at least be able to use the correct terminology of items.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

Are you replacing the upper and lower unit? From my experiance you can not put a Alpha lower on a pre alpha upper. You can however put a pre alpha lower on a Alpha upper. If your going to put a Alpha one on you need to put the upper and lower unit on together with the right gear ratio in the upper.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, don correct me if I am wrong but you would only be able to put a alpha on gen one on it with out moding the current set up because the gen two wouldn't match up