Fast Prop Selection

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 yamaha 2 stroke 25 hp, whats the fastest prop I can put on it? would it be a 10 1/8 with a 15 pitch?

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fast Prop Selection

I want more top end speed, I am normally the only person in my boat.
Which is better fir top end? 4 blade or 3 blade?

Bondo

Staff member

Which is better fir top end?

Ayuh,...

The one that allows your motor to run at the manufacturer's recommended RPMs at WOT.....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

First of all we need all the particulars of your boat and setup.
need present prop and max rpm and speed.Motor needs to operate within its recomended rpm range.A tinytach is reasonable,easy to hook up and will operate on any similar motor without regard to stator poles.A gps will get your speed.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go back to the first screen of Props. You will see a post that says "Read this First", please read it and answer the questions for us. With out that information you will be given wrong answers or at best wild guesses. Most of these people will not waste their time without something to go on. Give us the information and we will do our best to calculate and give you a helpful answer.

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 9 7/8 with an 11 pitch. Thats the stock prop. it runs 32 with the gps.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Still no help since you don't have an rpm number at wide open throttle. That's what determines whether you have the right prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

First of all we need all the particulars of your boat and setup.
need present prop and max rpm and speed.Motor needs to operate within its recomended rpm range.A tinytach is reasonable,easy to hook up and will operate on any similar motor without regard to stator poles.A gps will get your speed.
We need this for your motor health and best performance.
I will say that 32 is close to your max speed with a 25.
Without the rpm no way to know where to go from here.
There are some things you can do that are free.

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice

I was running around 5500 rpms, the manual says 5000-6000 rpm range. so what is a fast prop for it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thats what tachometers are for. Regardless what prop you install, if the engine runs at or very near the top of the manufacturers WOT rpm band, speed is what you get with that prop. Installing a prop with more pitch will likely slow you down because the engine does not have enough power to twist more pitch.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have said it correctly, a stock prop can be quicker than a "performance" prop. A boat and motor is like a dynometer measuring horsepower. When you get all the elements right the prop will transfer all the horsepower of the engine to the water most efficently and use up all the horsepower achieving top rpm. Too shallow of a pitch will allow the engine to overspeed and not transfer all the power, too steep of a pitch will bog the motor down and not allow it to reach peak power. It is a fine balance. You can sometimes change to a Stainless Steel prop and gain efficency through the thinner stiffer material and gain a little speed but 25 horse power is only 25 horse power. We are not talking drag boat here! If your achieveing 5500 rpm and not overunning running at wide open throttle you have reached the best your going to get with out very small adjustments which might give you one or two miles per hour. Try raising the engine 1 inch and see if you gain anything. Make sure you dont loose water flow and watch out for venitlation (prop slipping in the water).

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice

Alright Thanks,
The boat its on is a 94 Duracraft 1542, with approx. 100 extra weight, and just me so.. What do you think? Maybe a 10 3/8 by 13? The prop on there now is a 9 1/8 by 11.

Bondo

Staff member

I was running around 5500 rpms, the manual says 5000-6000 rpm range. so what is a fast prop for it?
What do you think? Maybe a 10 3/8 by 13? The prop on there now is a 9 1/8 by 11.

Ayuh,... Sure,.. If you want to go Slower,+ Probably Blow Up your motor....

The motor is just pulling Max rpms at WOT Now....
Propping it Up, is going to drop the rpms,+ Overload the motor....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Your suggestion above may be slightly faster, may be slightly slower, may totally suck. Fastest top speed are usually 3 blades and stainless . . . but we're still only talking 1 - 2 MPH, and no guarantees really with whatever you do. Props are part technical with a decent chunk of voodoo. Personally, like others have indicated, I think you're pretty good right where you are ;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

So how did you suddenly come up witrh this rpm?
If your looking for more speed check out the Hustler props probably in the same pitch.Hustler is said to deliver ss performance at al prices.
The little I've read they seem to improve overall performance.
Again changing props without a tach is a gamble both for performance and motor health.

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice

Where can I find a portable tachometer? do i have to buy one? or is there some place that lends them?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As I understand it the Tinytach is about $40 It attaches to a plug wire
easily added and removed.And again will work on any similar motor.
Check with the Tinytach people.I know someone here has one perhaps they will chime in.