Boat extension for outboards

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have seen a number of boats around here lately that have a rather large extension bolted to the transom to which one or two outboard motors (one had twin Honda 200's) are mounted. Most of the boats are not new, but some are.

Is this a retrofit device to get more boat length? It seems like it would put a lot of strain on the transom, especially during trailering.

D

DJ

Re: Boat extension for outboards

They're called "Brackets".

They are used to get the outboards farther back for two reasons.

1. Open up the cockpit area.

2. Get the outboards further back into smoother water (in theory).

On the right hull, they are very effective.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The down side of coarse is you are shifting all that weight farther back on the boat which could cause more problems than it solves but ti does work well on the right hull.

I have always heard them called GIL brackets, don't know if that is a brand name or the actual name of the part though

I have an aftermarket tilt trim and it gives me a 6'' setback and allows me to run the engine a bit higher than if it were directly on the transom.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are brackets, jackplates, a lot of off shore boats have brackets, so the boat can have a high transom. this enables them to take rougher water, also to back down on a fish, when fighting it.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. They must have to reinforce the transom connection to the boat when dealing the the big motors on a long bracket. In some cases, it looks like the extra leverage on the transom could rip it off the boat on a big bounce when trailering.

D

DJ

Thanks guys. They must have to reinforce the transom connection to the boat when dealing the the big motors on a long bracket. In some cases, it looks like the extra leverage on the transom could rip it off the boat on a big bounce when trailering.

Gil is a brand name.

Correct. The boat has to be engineered for that type of propulsion system. If done right, very effective for all the reasons stated above.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A benefit and detraction no one has mentioned.

The bouncy of the bracket pretty much negates the weight of the offset. The result is that the boat handles and feels as if it is a couple of feet longer. The down side is that brackets can compromise the handling of the boat in reverse. With the boat in reverse, the thrust is directed into the back of the transom minimizing its effect. You need to tilt the motor up a bit to push some of the thrust down below the bottom of the boat.

My boat has a bracket as an option. The only difference in the hull is that there is no cutout on the transom for the motor. Then again, my transom is a lot beefier than most. It is almost 4? thick at the point where the bracket attaches.

Armstrong is another very popular manufacture of outboard brackets
http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackets.htm