1976 2hp Evinrude

dick912

Recruit
Someone just gave me this motor. It is model 2602S. What does the model number stand for?

I was told that it hasn't been started for about 7 years. The needle valves looked clean. I didn't take the carb apart. Should I just put gas in it and try to run it? (The spark plug fires.)

The lowere unit doesn't have a drain plug. Do I assume the lower end is OK? There is no sign of leakage.

To whoever answers: Thank you very much for your input.

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 1976 2hp Evinrude

Coincidently, I was given a 1973 Johnson 2 hp recently. I just finished rebuilding it. Attached is the before photo.

The drain plug is located on the very bottom of the lower unit. It is a large slotted screw. Drain the lower unit, inspect the oil and refill with good marine 80/90W gear oil.

Well you should check the coil to make sure its ok. Those old coils are notorious for failing with age. Unfortunately, there isn't an inspection port on that flywheel so you will have to pull the flywheel to check it. No problem because you should clean and set the points anyway. However, pulling the flywheel will require that you remove the recoil, fuel tank and carb knobs so I understand if you want to skip this part until such time as absolutely necessary.

If the motor pulls over fine without any rubbing or tightness then its probably oily enough to attempt to start. Spray some lube in the cylinder to give it a good coating of oil. I also like to get some past the carb and into the crankcase. I like to give a good long spray using PB Blaster or other penetrating oil. Some people use 2 stoke oil. Fill the tank with fresh 87 octane gas and TC-W3 outboard motor oil in a ratio of 50:1 and try to fire it up. Usually, those small motors have seen very little use.

Attachments

• Motor in a Bucket.JPG
    Motor in a Bucket.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0