150 ocean pro, steaming?

btnj1971

Recruit
I have a 2000 150 ocean pro that to me seems to run on the hot side. Is it normal for steam to always be present where exhaust and water exits engine when running. I have a good/hard stream of water pumping out and thermostats have been checked and operating properly. Water stream is hot to the touch almost to the point of not being able to hold your hand in it. When boat is loaded on the trailer and you feel lower unit, it's hot. IS all of this normal for a Johnson, I have a friend that has a Yamaha and I felt his lower unit and it was cool to the touch.
I plan on getting a temperature gun from work to shoot some temps on head, water stream and lower unit.

Is this normal? Even though I have a good water stream is it possible that the impeller is warn enough that it's not cooling the engine properly?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 150 ocean pro, steaming?

It doesn't sound "normal" to me. The lower unit should not produce any heat. Your cooling passages are constricted or your thermostat isn't functioning! Are you running the proper lube ratio? VRO working?

Replace the 'stat and pump...then go from there!

MAS

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.

Steam is never good on an outboard. All that water exiting the tell tale tells you is that the water pump is functioning, does not verify that the head is getting cooled.

An infrared thermometer is an excellent idea. Once warm, the heads should be in the 160* - 180* range. Does your overheat alarm not sound? If in fact you are overheating, be sure to test this, and ensure that it functions as it should. Grounding out your TAN wire should sound the horn.

When was the t stats and water pump last serviced? If it has been a couple years, that is exactly where I would start as mentioned. Flush and backflush your cooling circuit while the lu is down, and ensure that your water intake area is free of debris.

Also get yourself a compression gauge and get readings on all cylinders with the plugs out.

Let us know how you do.

btnj1971

Recruit

I've had the boat about a year and carried it to mechanic familiar with Johnson outboards and he checked engine out. I can't remember the #'s but all cylinders checked out o.k. on compression test, one a little off from others, but he said that it was still within the limits??

I flush engine everytime I take boat out of water (use boat in saltwater) by hooking waterhose up to fitting between exhaust ports. Water seems to be flushing thru engine freely.

I'll get thermostats changed and install a water pump to see what happens..if that doesn't work, what would be the next thing to cause this heating issue. I'll try to get some temperature readings on engine this weekend before changing both, just to confirm that I'm not over reacting.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Deposits in the cooling passages will reduce cooling ability. I've had a motor where cooling ability was reduced by half due to deposits...not good.

I had to use a dremel tool to clear the passages after I removed the head!

MAS