1991 Johnson 60hp. no spark

Orlando Len

Cadet
What was a good running 60 hp motor just died on me and will not start. I have no spark on any of the 3 cylinders. I disconnected the (red) harness connector to Isolate the problem to under the hood and used a starter button. Connections within motor look great. My question is: My Clymer manual covers years 1973 to 1990. would the meter reading have changed on 1991 motor? As it is stated in the manual both my sensor coil (11 ohms +-3) and charge coil (480ohms+-25) are out of speck and should be replaced. I pulled the flywheel and the stator appears fine, at least its not cracked or leaking. I hope the 91 has different specks and I'm just looking at needing a new CDI. I'm using a good quality digital Fluke meter, not a peak reading meter ( what ever that is). I've ordered a 1991-1994 manual already but thought I'd see if one of you guys had any suggestions. Thanks Len.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1991 Johnson 60hp. no spark

Len,
I'm confused.

Can you post your resistance reading and the spec?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

A peak reading voltmeter, or DVA meter, are specialty meters for measuring average DC voltages and AC voltage spikes on ignition systems.

You should really just get a factory OEM Service manual, those Clymers and Selocs cause more trouble than they are worth in my humble opinion. Check www.ebay.com or www.outboardbooks.com for a factory reprint.

The following is from the CDI troubleshooting matrix. Let us know what you find.

NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER:

1. Disconnect the black/yellow stop wire and retest. If the engine's ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a fault-check the key switch, harness and shift switch.

2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the rectifier and retest. If the ignition now has spark, replace the rectifier.
3. Check the stator and trigger resistance and DVA output as given below:

Wire Color: Check to Wire Color: Resistance: DVA Reading
Brown wire: Brown/Yellow wire: 450-550: 150V or more Connected
White wire: Purple: 38-42: 0.6V or more Connected
White wire: Blue wire: 38-42: 0.6V or more Connected
White wire: Green wire: 38-42: 0.6V or more Connected

4. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed of less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to spark properly.

Orlando Len

Cadet

Hey Chris Well I ran through the Steps you suggested and here is what I got:
#1 disc Blk/yel wire = no spark
#2 disc yel rectifier wires= no Spark
#3 meter brown to brown/yellow stator= meter read open, not 500ohm +-50 got 16vac when I cranked the motor. not good news.
white to purple metered 12.5ohms not 40ohms +-2
white to blue metered 12.5 ohns not 40ohms +-2
white to green metered 12.5 ohms not 40ohms +-2
You're tests seem to go along with what my initial investigation suggested, both stator and timing base are bad. Seems unlikely both would go out just like that. you're thoughts?
Len

Orlando Len

Cadet

I replaced the Rectifier and the motor is back in business. Thanks Guys!
I've been shrimping a half dozen times with it and all is well.

Now onto my next project. Pulling a 1987 S-19 Sea Ray 4.3L mercruiser out of barn. A project boat that beat me down and was moth balled 3 years ago. Need get it going and get it gone.