5.7 Volvo Penta removal

Kris Kraft

Recruit
I own a '96 22' Chris Craft I sucked up some lake water into the engine when it dieseled on me. Unaware of the hydro lock at the time I managed to damage the bendix and strip the flywheel trying to start it. I changed the bendix and now I have to change the flywheel. I have worked on early model cars (up to early '90s) and done numerous engine swaps on them. My question is on this type of drive do you have to remove the housing bolts from the engine before it comes out, how many engine mount bolts does this have, and is there a cherry picker made that can reach that high, while it is setting on the trailer, or do I need to use an overhead crane? I plan on replacing the short block and have the heads rebuilt while it is out and the other expendables also. I thank you in advance for the help.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 5.7 Volvo Penta removal

Had the misfortune of getting up close and personal with a friends early 90s 290DP. Is a 350 chevy. Swapping engines, we did not have to remove the outdrive. 4 engine mount bolts and maby 8 bell housing bolts. Used one of my davets to pull it out. Was not much of a problem. Be sure to correctly torque the new flywheel when you install it. FRED

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Two entirely different drive systems Fred, he has the SX type drive, not the 290 style.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks DON, I stand corrected. I try to avoid the things, but they come looking for me. See new post. FRED

Kris Kraft

Recruit

I thank you for the information, any other ideas on what other expendables need to be changed out? Also any information on thru hull exhaust conversion would also be helpful. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your best bet would be to order the service manuals needed for your engine and drive.
The engine manual has a complete section on engine removal and replacement, you will also have to do an engine alignment when you put it back together.

If you click on this link (iboats volvo parts)
http://www.volvopentastore.com/5_7_...*****.604242308--store_id.366--view_id.342430

Then click on the model number you have, then click on the manual.
You will need 4.
Engine
Ignition
Fuel
SX drive
With some models, the ignition and fuel manual is the same one.